Help! Need a board recommendation

Afternoon all,

First, forgive my excitement but I’ve purchased the lowrider kit. In my zeal and covid-stir-crazy manner, i purchased just about everything except a main board. In my defense they were sold out on everything but the beta one. Ideally i would have done it all at once and together, but I’ll refer you to the first sentence.

Can someone suggest or link to the right rambo v1.4 board on amazon? When i look the options are daunting. Alas, im weary that if i purchase the wrong brains, the one I didn’t use before buying the kit won’t be able to handle the despair.

Thank you…total noob,

DH

Welcome @Gohan5117 to the forum. Are you ok learning how to flash the firmware? That will be important if you source otherwise from @vicious1.

If you want to be sure, buy the Ultimachine Rambo that is listed on Amazon. It’s the authentic and you would have the best luck with support and things. @vicious1 is an authorized reseller of these and he gives added value by flashing the firmware. Cloned ones would be a step down but can be used.

It may seem pricey, but in my experience, you the quality does make a difference.

Thank you greatly for the prompt feedback and advice. I totally would have bought from @vicious1 but he’s shown as sold out for the last several days. Im fine with flashing mobos…been doing that since i was a kid. When I search amazon however, there is no immediate link which seems to match the query. I get 1 knockoff, three v 1.3 oddities and then it jumps straight into the stallone movies. If you have a link to what I’m missing that’d be great. I fear they arent being made or its a covid supply issue and I’m in the lurch.

Much obliged,

dH

Try this link on Amazon.

@scrounge79. Thanks!!! You’re the best. I’m not sure where that was hiding when i did my searches. I have the board, I’ve flashed it, and the lcd screen is working. I had a weird compile error in arduino ide but the profile.io worked perfectly. Just finishing up printing parts for the lowrider and then assembly.

Thank you again. I hope you and yours are safe and well.

DH

1 Like

Hi guys, im just getting started as well. i printed all the parts and bought the kit but the board was sold out. does the board recommended by Marion come 100% ready to go for lrcnc v2? i also got the lcd screen and want to eventually add the mechanical end stops. please let me know, id like to get a board ordered asap, but want to make sure its the right one. also does anyone know if this is available from a canadian reseller?

@iammancini. Yup marion saved the day!!! I have that board and got it up and running. I cant recommend doing the foamular work enough.

![20201021_153248|690x388]

1 Like

The rambo comes flashed from Ryan. It is ready to go, but make sure he knows if you want the dual endstop firmware or the serial firmware.

sorry, what does the serial firmware mean. i havent had much of a chance to read about the controls.

Serial firmware means you only use 3 drivers and the dual axis are wired in serial. It is a bit simpler.

thanks guys, gonna pick up that board from the link i think.

The one from amazon for $175?!

yes, and thats american so even worse for me in canada. i cant find an alternative.

I suggest waiting a bit if you are sure you do not want the SKR…mine might have finally shipped.

waiting for rambo v1.4 to come in? what is the difference between the SKR and Rambo. i already have the screen which is not the end of the world. im looking for something that is as close to plug and play as possible.

Then wait to get one from ryan and the v1 engineering website. Theres no more plug and play than that. When i biught mine from the above link it was NOT 175. Also V1 had no eta on new boards to sell. V1 has said he has a shipment likely inbound.

Good luck.

1 Like

Currently the rambo is slightly easier to use as there are no jumpers…but you do have to flash firmware. So which part are you more comfortable with flashing or installing drivers.

Have a look at the docs and see what seems better to you. Functionally…no difference (currently as we use them, the SKR is more future proof).
https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/ultimachine/
https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/skrpro/

If there was a clear reason to use one or the other I would not offer both.

Maybe the SKR is the better option if its future proof. i assume i need to purchase two mechanical end stops and cables as well. anything else i should consider when purchasing, i need to bundle as much as possible to save on shipping costs to canada

I can’t really recommend one over the other, I don;t know your experience or your desire to monkey with it or just use it. Simplicity says wait two days for the rambo as it comes with everything. The SKR (if you use dual endstops) needs 4 endstops and 4 wires.

decided to stick with my original plan and ordered the rambo v1.4 with some additional items such as touchplate, spare limit switches, bits and collet. there was not room to specify control board specific text, but i assume that is more applicable to the SKr?