Help trying to design a pattern

Hi, I’ve got an idea I want to cut, I just can’t seem to figure out what software to use, or how to design it.

I’m trying to create this triangles pattern, is there a way to generate something like this? Or what software should I be using? I’ve installed inkscape but I don’t know where to start.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t done it yet but was interested in something similar. Found this video on YouTube that shows one possibility:

2 Likes

Checking it out now, thanks!

I didn’t watch the video, but I threw this together in Fusion 360.

I made a base sketch, extruded each triangle up, created a plane from three points, sliced the extrusion with the plane, and deleted the unneeded body. (Repeat 26 more times)

2 Likes

This is working good I think, thank you both

1 Like

I haven’t used 360 before, I’ve created the model, but is there a good resource for how to take this shape and convert it to gcode for the mpcnc?

nycnc has some great videos on youtube about fusion paths. You are interested in the 3d paths (2d is for cutout and pockets). After you get your paths setup and simulated so they look good then you need to look into guffy’s post processor for fusion to export marlin friendly gcode.

It seems like on a pattern like this you could save a lot of time by keeping it pretty rough and sanding to flat on each facet.

I’m going to be making several of these though. I’d ideally like the cnc to do a nearly complete job

1 Like

It’s interesting in the video you linked he uses a downcut bit for the roughing then a tapered ball nose for the finishing. I might have to give that a try sometime it seems like he gets a nice finish and he says it’s about a 1.5 hour cut.

You might save machine time, but I don’t think you’d save time. I would think sanding inside corners and especially the inside vertices would be very tedious and difficult. I think it would be difficult to avoid adding tiny extra facets in the process as well.

I have no idea how to generate the paths in fusion, but I think I would try to avoid or at least minimize sanding on something like this.