Help with firmware

I have been reading the forums for sometime now, and a lot of the answers I read are that for doing just CNC work the Arduino is recommend is this true?

Dual end stops requires a 5 driver board.

Your picture does not show a ramps board it.looks like a 3 driver board you need GRBL to control you need a ramps board or to load GERBL on the mega

I have the Arduino V3 CNC shield with DRV8825 steppers I was originally trying to configure the SKR V1.3 to use as my primary mother board…

https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/wiring-the-steppers/

GRBL running on Ramps Check out this thread

let me ask you a different question I do a lot of 3D printing, so I tend to have a lot of motherboards; would a MKS Gen 1 be easier to set up? because I am trying to set up the Arduino but I guess I need to do it with GRBL (I don’t really know what it is)…

I started reading it…I have GRBL downloaded but, it wont upload…giving me an error i’ll post it at the bottom of the thread. As, I was reading the thread you recommended I saw someone had uploaded a firmware, except it is a “.RAR” how do you put that into Arduino? Thank you all for all your kind help I really do appreciate it!

I use GRBL because i started with a home built Laser and started with GRBL and that is what I used I did not have a 3D printer I now have a 3Dprinter but it is separate I use the MPCNC only for CNC and see no reason to change Most people here are using Marlin and it works very well I used it for a few weeek and was to diffident to switch so went back to GRBL

un rar it and it is a Arduino sketch

I have 8 different 3D printer’s I have been 3D printing for over 2 years now but I have always wanted to build a CNC…(long story)…I finally got two days off to work on the MPCNC and I have been up all day assembling it, I am really excited to get it going! I really appreciate everyone that has helped me so far…how do you "un rar’ it?

RAR is a compressed file, similar to .ZIP

Use winrar to extract the files.

You are all over the map. I’d recommend that you pick a board and focus on it until It works.

2 Likes

https://github.com/fra589/grbl-Mega-5X here is the git for it download the zip and use arduion to uplaod it to the mega

I know sorry just trying to make things simple for me…I had originally been wanting to use the SKR; however, after reading various threads I figured that the Arduino would be easier since I solely want to use it for CNC…thank you again for your help!

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I have it loaded on a mega with a ramps board and it works well I have not tried it with a mega and CNC shield though but it should work not sure about pins but can’t hurt to try I use a CNC shield and Arduino Uno all the time with https://github.com/grbl/grbl for 3 drivers

1 Like

If you want to use dual end stops, the SKR or the MKS would be the board to use.

1 Like

I agree 100 percent but have no personal experience

So, I downloaded all the files everyone recommended; downloaded “winrar” and I keep getting this error when I try to upload the .zip file to Arduino. I keep trying to upload the .zip file to arduino and keep running into this error message… “Specified folder/zip file does not contain a valid library” the .zip file I keep trying to upload is “grblmaster.zip”

Why did you stop on the skr? You compiled it successfully.