Help with setting origin height

Ok, here is where I am.

18x30 inch mpcnc built, all parts from V1.

I downloaded Ryan’s crown gcode and it works.

I am running estlcam in a Windows 10 virtual box on my mac. Painful, but so be it.

When I tried to create my own gcode, I was having trouble with scales. Jeff helped point me in the right direction.

I am still working with a pencil mount and paper.

I have had 2 successful prints1 ruler file imported into estlcam, and somE text for a friend. I forget what happened with the ruler, but the text, I had to start at 32 mm above the paper to get the proper pressure for text and clearance between letters.

I set up a couple more fun drawings for my kids with downloaded svg files. I will see how they print tomorrow. I was looking for the setting in estlcam that accounted for origin relative to workpiece. Any one have any idea what’s going on here?

Thank you,
Ben

Make sure you reset the board to zero out the axis, click on your path and set your depth of cut to something like 0.5-1mm (you probably had 32mm…)

Check out milling basics for some old screen shots

2 Likes

Thank you!

If it was depth of cut, during travel between letters the z axis would move back up 32 mm right? Here the z only traveled about 2 mm.

I will go back to the milling basics. That was on my todo list.

Then that sounds like it just needed to be reset before you started…as in it thought it was up 30mm so it went down 30.

You can (and should) start your gcode with G92 x0 y0 z0 to prevent that

Thanks!

1 Like

I will get my test drawings done tomorrow, if they go well, onto foam, them maybe wood!

1 Like