Hmm I know they say any press is good press but

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2021/04/02/cocaine-submarine-drug-trafficking/

10 Likes

Well, he sure had some neat toys!

Classic Jet Aircraft (worldheritageairmuseum.org)

Oh wow. Haha.

Is it weird that I am curious about the technical details of the sub?

1 Like

I don’t think so, always neat to know how machines work. However, some federal agencies might have a different opinion. :roll_eyes:

This is amazing! Unfortunately the article is automatically hidden because of pay wall/gdpr/something something. Anyone got a screen shot?

I DID get to see the image though! Hilarious. You got his forum username? :sunglasses: :cowboy_hat_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

I opened it in firefox with ublock and it showed up. I don’t have a wapo subscription.

On mobile, until Monday. No worries

So is it a compliment the the MPCNC was chosen? I mean if they got that kind of business isn’t money basically endless?

Well I haven’t helped anyone design any sort of subs so at least I got that going for me.

1 Like

Curious if he had any posts here!

1 Like

Pretty crazy. I kinda hope we didn’t help out with that project here! First time I have ever thought about the CNC being used for anything but good. Hmm, I guess really anything can be used for bad though.

2 Likes

Wonder if the 3rd party designing the prototype bought the parts from the shop or built it themselves. I’m hedging towards building it themselves.

Neat!

I used to teach computer technology security classes. I would always say that (by and large) the tools are agnostic. You can go to the hardware store and buy a hammer, then either volunteer to build shelters for the homeless or bust car windows in the parking lot. It’s not the hammer’s fault either way. By extension, I wouldn’t blame the hammer manufacturer or the hardware store that sold it. Responsibility is 100% on the user, not the tool.

(Note I realize this is a possible opening for a lot of “tool” control philosophy conversations which can quickly devolve into political arguments. I’m not interested in having those here, thanks.)

3 Likes

I know this is a bit late to the party, but the article is now unblocked for me, so I thought I’d attach a snippet for posterity. If that’s not OK I won’t be offended to have the post deleted (with a bit of luck the meta data is stripped so republishing shouldn’t cause an issue - but I feel like a bad guy for doing it.)

Marty Tibbitts was working with an unidentified company to design a submarine — a partially completed prototype of which is shown here — to transport cocaine to Europe, prosecutors allege. (Drug Enforcement Administration)

1 Like