Hope you dont mind all my guitar builds. This one is for me

Octoprint has an awesome interface, but it is not what Kurt is trying to do.

FFMPEG has the worst interface, which octoprint has kindly obscured for you, and provided you with a slick interface.

But what Kurt is trying to do is stitch together a bunch of images collected already, into a video.

Here is one example of how to make a video from ffmpeg:

http://pr0gr4mm3r.com/linux/how-to-create-a-time-lapse-video-using-ffmpeg/

That is, after you already have ffmpeg installed. In my experience, that is also not trivial.

I love octoprint. I even love ffmpeg, but ffmpeg is not user friendly. Octoprint is, but it can’t do what we need in this case.

1 Like

https://www.openshot.org/ looks like a good option. Based on FFMPEG, open-source, free… Possibly overkill.

I’ve used https://handbrake.fr/ as a transcoder quite a few times, usually to get an HD recording down to an email-sized file. Also wrapped around FFMPEG. I don’t know what it’s capabilities are as far as taking still input and generating a video.

Because I was searching, http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/ is also out there, but it looks to be pretty opaque and non-intuitive for the non A/V geek.

1 Like

Update on things. Started on the neck

4 Likes

Body got a fresh fade today.

13 Likes

What a beauty!

She’s one in a million!

Why would I lie?

2 Likes

Exactly. I already have the timelapse photos, I just need the stitching. No reason to overcomplicate things here.

Milling 4 alignment pins in to the waste board, then into the stock. Flip on the pins over x axis is my preferred method.

The finish on the body looks great! Looking forward to seeing how the neck turns out. Are you planning to use the CNC to cut the fret slots in the fingerboard?

One more question regarding milling on both sides of the body: Do you have to split the model in half along the Z and mirror the bottom half to program the tool paths for that side?

Is it weird that I feel proud?

Dam that looks good. Your hard work and perseverance have clearly paid off. Stunning work!

3 Likes

The pins need to be mirrored from the center line on the axis you flip. They dont need to be mirrored from center on the other axis.

I’m using fusion360, I dont split anything there, just flip it over and create a new setup. Making sure my z and y orientations are correct (I always flip on the x)

Yes, fretboard and inlay will be done with this machine

1 Like

Unfortunately the neck is a fail. I seem to be having issues with the 1/8th collet on this machine. I tighten it as far as I can, but sometimes the mills end up walking out. They are 1/8th in mills for sure not 3mm, so I don’t know what is going on.

anyway, it cut all the way through the neck when cutting the truss rod slot, so I’ll have to start over now.

It is slipping or not retracting? If slipping try cleaning all oil off the end mill and colletgripper also make sure no chips are in collet.

Everything else looks amazing

Ouch!

I assume you’re using upcut bits, which will tend to pull the bits out of the collet… You could try putting in a stop and Z-probe at certain intervals, just to be sure. If done carefully, you could even snug the bit back up into the collet if needed.

Alternately, split, then carve the truss rod slot into the center blank(s) before you glue them up…

1 Like

This is mechsnical and should not happen so if the above does not help mic the end mills order a new collet and nut I use 3.175 mills al the time with my 660 and never have them slip. Upcut down cut an the ones for ply up down cut never have this . One last thought are you cutting deeper than the fluted part the shaft may be a little larger that the fluted area area in a slot. I have never had this happen .with the Dwalt 660

This IS the 2nd collet. Both of them I had issues like this. one almost caught the wood on fire because it slipped out and got stuck in the collet, heating it up and throwing sparks everywhere.

1 Like

Woohoo never saw that before good that you were there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. From the same vendor?
Dewalt 389243-00 1/8" COLLET Amazon.com. Is the one I used and worked

Yes, they are both OEM dewalt parts. That is the link I got it from.

I may be able to save it. I’m going to route a wider channel down the middle of the back of the neck, then fill it with black epoxy resin.

2 Likes

Fill it with translucent epoxy and and LED strip. Stuff a battery pack with a nano into the body. Tap into the output and put on a light show from the back…

1 Like