How straight must the X-axis be?

I need to cut a 5’ section from an 8’ stainless steel tube. If I roll the tube on a flat surface, the end wobbles like a cm or so. Is that straight enough?

Thanks,

To answer you question… Straight…
One cm is alot.
The esiest way I found to cut SS tubing that I found is using a Tubing cutter

A cm is too much. The impact will be different depending on the orientation of the bend (which you determine in your assembly). If the bend is parallel to the table, you’ll likely have your machine binding up moving on the X axis. If the bend is perpendicular to the table, then you will see a large variation in cut depth. Some kinds of tool paths (engraving for example) are highly sensitive to having the plane of the router and the table parallel. Even minor variations can be seen in the work. There are workarounds such as surfacing the stock with the CNC, but I think you will be unhappy with your machine unless you address this issue.

That’s a bummer! I had ordered it from Ryan’s Amazon link.

Can anyone suggest a good source for the SS/DOM 1" tubing in the Bay Area, California? Homedepot does not seem to carry such product.

I’m no ware near you but the best price I found was at Jegs.com
at the time of my build I payed $16.49 plus shipping, total $82.07 for 4 shipped now looks like it is $30 each plus shipping