how to keep Z motor active when done?

100% not a jab at you, promise.

If we knew what the problem was there would be no need for the forums. I learned some things, I am sure you learned some things, heck we may both still be wrong.

Fingers crossed this is sorted out easily, it usually is but, if not I/we are here to help.

A lot of things feel like a jab these days but thanks for clarifying.

I lost 2 hours of sleep but its much better after reassembly and bolt snugging. thanks!
I did the crown again and the y-axis skipped steps during the last 10 seconds or so somewhere before the cross. don’t have time to upload a pic but I’ll look into the problem later.

Skipped steps are very very rare, It is almost always caused by improperly set drivers (too high or too low). What did you set your drivers too, I have never used the 4982’s so I am not sure what they should be, but they need to be set carefully to about 80% or less of the stepper max.

I just got time to work on it today.

my steppers are 2A each and I think its close but not over.
lets see 1.180v X, 1.180 Y, 0.810v Z, current = Vref * 2.5
2.95A, 2.95A and slightly over at 2.025A for Z
X & Y are at 73.75% they were getting hot at higher vRef

I think the rails were just misaligned. I straightened the rails out and it seems to be running better.
Doing some more test cuts right now.

just as I was about done writing this my Z dropped by about 2mm and ruined the test cut when it was 8 physical lines away from done.
It looked great up till that point.

Those numbers seem extremely high, are you sure you are not getting thermal shutdown of the drivers? My steppers barely get warm and they are hard to stop by hand, hot is not normal.

Do you have a better board to test with?

high for 2, 2A steppers? I thought you double your vRef when you have 2 motors on one output. each one should be getting 1.475A in a Parallel circuit. must be why you prefer series. or maybe they are in series and I’m just overcurrent.
they are wired like in the attached picture.
either way Z is my current problem. i will lower the vRef to .640v (80% of 2) and see what that does.

The easiest thing to do is check the temp of the z driver and the z stepper. If you can’t keep your finger on it you probably have it too high.

It will be hot but should not burn you.

As for your other steppers, best to change to series.

Are you sure you have 2A steppers, that is very big? Are they 1.8 degree? Every move is under 30mm/s? Lots of variables here, to many to just keep guessing. What step rate, what rapids? Use my crown as a test file, my gcode. You keep using your own, that very well could be the issue.

You have a long thread here, and the details are spread through many posts. You might want to drop in all the relevant info again.

Z driver temp is warmish hot, X&Y is (5 seconds till I remove my finger) hot. (i need a temp gun) and all steppers are cool to touch.
“Are you sure you have 2A steppers” Yup they are 48mm long in body length, “59Ncm (83.6oz.in) 2A, 1.8°, Bipolar stepper motors”
according to the Amazon page. i do know the higher the amp rating the longer the stepper body is.

i was using your crown gcode after i disassembled it and started getting skipping issues.
I then realigned my XY and tried my gcode to see if it would cut level. i will try the crown again.
my issue could just be the stepper wires… I will check them and report back in my next reply.

More (hopefully relevant) info:

• 750mm X, 500mm Y, 200mm Z.
  • “#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 100, 100, 400, 200 }” <- one of the lines i needed to change in your Marlin firmware.
  • feed rate 100mm/min going to try 10mm/s soon after this since its more rigid now. dry testing first to fix skipping issue.
    so that takes a 22 min program to under 5min. so that would be great if it doesn’t skip.

as far as wiring to series by using this reference picture, I found in the forums correct?
https://www.v1engineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Motors_serial_connection.jpg
i could just redo my splitter board and only have the red/blue swapped in the connector.
should be easy enough to do and then i should be able to half the vRef. if I can find that dang screwdriver I use for it. lol

That is parallel, not series.

One of my blue wires did get loose from all the moving when disassembling. I forgot to check them. for some reason, a little bit of movement breaks one of them. I need to print a box to put all the electronics in soon so the cable ends cant move and break.

I found a series splitter board someone posted about in the forums. I managed to re-trace my splitter board to series. it took longer than expected… it was in series but not in opposite directions at first… so i had to flip the wires in one of the connectors for each axis.
and Vref for X & Y is at .640v now. Z was also adjusted to that.

I had Y working in series now neither cooperate after rewiring X in series… it’s frustrating…
Z works great though. no time left today to work on it.