How to lock steppers

Hi,

Does anyone know how to lock stepper motors in place after a cut? I have tried M84 S0 in the End program script, but they still disengage after the cut is finished.

Thanks,

Damien

S0 disables them immediately. Do something like S300. That will give you 5 minutes.

I had tried S999, it didn’t work.

I had read that M84 by itself disabled them immediately, but M84 S0 kept them on forever.

I’ll try S300, but I don’t think it will work.

Thanks

Nope S300 doesn’t work either :frowning:

How does your gcode end (can you upload it)? Also, if you are using Repetier-host, I believe there’s a setting to deenergize the motors whent the print job finishes. You’ll need to change that setting.

I have attached gcode file. I don’t use Repetierhost. I just use sd card with LCD.

Thanks.

Square01.gcode (9.67 KB)

The firmware keeps them on for 15 minutes, after that they will power down. It is best not to leave your machine unattended so 15 minutes should be a reasonable time frame, if it is not you can just change that in the firmware.

I’m running on an old firmware, maybe that’s the problem.

I just thought there was some way of doing it with gcode so I didn’t have to reprogram

Hi Ryan,

Where in the firmware can I change this stepper timeout value?

Thanks!
Iz

See this section in configuration_adv.h:

/**
 * Idle Stepper Shutdown
 * Set DISABLE_INACTIVE_? 'true' to shut down axis steppers after an idle period.
 * The Deactive Time can be overridden with M18 and M84. Set to 0 for No Timeout.
 */
#define DEFAULT_STEPPER_DEACTIVE_TIME 1200
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_X true
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_Y true
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_Z false
#define DISABLE_INACTIVE_E true

I cannot tell from the documentation if using M18 or M84 can be saved using an M500. If so, and if you do, then changes directly in the firmware will no longer work unless you do a factory reset (M502).

1 Like