How to make my own power plant. The story about the rabbit hole

If you’re of an artistic bent we may need to have someone design a CNCable crest for the Rabbit Hole Engineering & Whoopie Society. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Society Of Rabbit-hole Engineers… SORE for short…

4 Likes

I think you need to make it fit i to “So Are”. Like: So, are you going to add a laser engraver? So, Are there any ways to solve this with software? So, Are you going to eat that last rib?

2 Likes

Hey - it’s all about Tromsø again: Blue-green aurora.

1 Like

Is there some kind of trick to be able to see the videos?
I click on them but nothing happens, they behave as if they were just images.

I’ve noticed this too. In multiple threads. Something is amiss…

They seem to be working now, from my location. I also added a direct link with the videos, in case it doesn’t work with you.

A question that sticks out atm is: how can I measure roughly how much water is running?

The fall is actually my favourite time for the aurora. Not freezing my fingers off, and still having leaves on the trees and some light in the horizon.

Same for me, still doesn’t work, can’t see any video…

To measure the water flow just get a bucket, then measure how much time it takes to fill it. Super easy.

1 Like

Yes, that was my idea initially. I was just thinking that it would be difficult to get a good measurement, since the bucket would fill quite immideately.
But if it takes 1.5second, then I know that I have 10ltrs/1.5 sec :slight_smile:

Then just get several bukets :wink:

1 Like

The USGS has a really good write up of how they do it. Might take some more research to figure out how us lowly civilians can do it

1 Like

The answer to this in Texas is always, Yes. In fact, it’s not even considered polite to ask. Few spouses are even daring enough to try to take one off of another person’s plate. Feuds have been started over the last rib at a pot luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

This just popped up on my twitter feed.

1 Like

For your entertainment, here is a software engineer/physicist trying to do civil/mechanical engineering:

I finally followed your direct link and checked out that video. That is a lot of water moving really quick. You can estimate/measure the flow volume by measuring the width, and height in that little channel to get the area, and then multiply by the speed it is moving. You don’t need to get it perfect, just within 50% or so. You could try putting something at the beginning and timing how long it takes to get to the end. The speed at the surface might not be exactly what it is average. But it is in the ball park.

If it was 0.2m wide, 0.1m tall, and it took 10s to move 2m, it would be:

0.2m*0.1m*2m/10s=0.004m^3/s. Or 4000cm^3/s. Or 4kg/s Or 0.066kg/min.

But I don’t know what to do with it. I assume you multiply the flow times the height drop to get power. The flow may need to be in kg/s, 1g is 1cm3 of water. I am guessing, because height in water is like voltage in electronics. Flow is like current and power is voltage times current. :man_shrugging:.

The internet says a 1 kgm/min is 0.163W. So with the numbers above, and a 0.5m drop, you’d have about 0.033kgm/min, or 0.005W. That is really small, but my guess is that my numbers are super wrong. If the area was 10x that, and it went 2m in 1s, it would be 0.5W. Still seems wrong. I’m using unit analysis for the most part here.

Then what? Try to assume you get some percentage of that power out on the wheel? Like half? Then that’s the power at the shaft. Then you have to figure out a generator that takes that much power input, figure out what rpms it likes to go and find a gear/pulley mechanism to give it that many rpms? I bet finding something that works at small rpms will be the hardest part.

At each step, try to figure out how it could be wrong and by how much. Can the generator handle twice the power input? You can probably adjust the height at the end of the chute to reduce the power. You should probably have a belt system with built in clutch, like a belt that can slip. In case something gets jammed.

IDK. But it’s fun to think about.

2 Likes

It sure is fun!

Thanks for the effort with your calculations, I appreciate it. I didn’t understand all of it, but with common sensish estimates I’d say that the chute sends 5-10 liters pr second. I’m not sure how high I can get the total fall, but between 1 and 2 meters should be doable.

According to the calculator Dui found, this would get me 200W. Not bad, but not enough to get me off grid :grin:

I think the old HDD motor would be perfect for lower rpms.

Oh. Watt is kgm^2/s^3, and I forgot gravity… Oops. I guess if you google a specific unit conversion, someone will come up with the units. Typical Internet.

1 Like

So, with a mighty flourish of serendipity or synchronicity if you prefer, this was on the English front page of Wikipedia today:

1 Like

You know what Marion? I’m happy for that seredipity! I just now came across the perfect series about water wheels for me. It’s aimed at children, so it’s perfectly aligned with my level :wink: I actually enjoy these vids alot, he makes many great projects involving electronics, mechanics and playing. Highly recommended! I might very well end up with a pelton wheel, not the traditional one.

And now he has thaugth about what an alternator and rectifier is - with a balloon!

5 Likes

This could probably work with that water wheel linked above.

Water wheel converts high volume low pressure into low volume high pressure. Then nozzle converts low velocity high pressure into high velocity. Then Pelton wheel.

Although I’m not sure if it’s different/better than harnessing the torque of the first water wheel directly with a belt to boost the rpm to a generator.