How to wire the rambo 1.4?

I have my table built and my lowrider assembled. And went to start on the wiring. Now I haven’t opened anything ahead of time due to not wanting to lose things. But upon opening the rambo I have 3 sets of wires for 5 motors? 2 of them have 2 male and one female end and the colors of the wire change and don’t line up with the motor wires. I’m new to wiring stuff up so go easy on me. I looked at reprap and it tells me where to plug them into the board but I don’t understand what goes where after that. Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated. Also v1 was out of the 3d printed controller holders when I ordered mine and I can’t find where to order them stand alone. I have a resin printer but it can’t print the part with it’s small build bed, if anyone can link the store page for the housing also that would be super cool! Thank you all for sticking with me asking what I can only assume are simple questions.

Edit: It also came with a power source, but there’s no plug for it anywhere. I’m so confused, there’s no documentation on this portion of the setup in the build guide.

Alrighty guys! a bit of trial and error and a few calls to a friend of mine that is a drone pilot got it resolved! the cables with 2 male ends actually do control both motors at the same time since the input to them should be the same. And the power source had to be stripped and jumped on the board. But after a week she’s all together… Almost. Need to do some wire clean up and find a way to mount the boards still. Wish me luck!

You already figured it out, but for anyone finding this topic in a search here is one reference:

https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/wiring-the-steppers/

As for the power source, there should be a matching female connector somewhere in the kit with screw-type terminal connectors on the other end. I believe you have to provide the wire between the connector and the Rambo board.

You did good. Cutting that barrel jack off is the right choice. And yes, the mirrored axis plug into one plug, through that wiring harness from Ryan. Don’t use the second Z port on the rambo, it is wired in parallel. Use the wire harness, which is wired in series.

If you think there are improvements to the documentation, please feel free to add them. There are little pencils in the upper corners, and you’ll need a github account. Any changes to into a review, and Ryan will approve and merge them. It is hard to write documentation for every audience, and every configuration. But your situation should be documented well enough you shouldn’t have to phone a friend :).

1 Like

I don’t have a printed case for mine. I made a box out of wood. I made it too big. I attach the box to the LR, and inside the box, I have a lot of room for different electronics. I also have a fan attached to the rim of the box, and it blows over the control board enough to keep them from overheating.

1 Like

What did you use to mount the board in the box? Would bolts and plastic spacers be fine for it? I was thinking about just picking up a small container from harbor freight for it today so it’s dust free. And I’m guessing a 5v fan would work for the board wouldn’t it? I have a few dust filters from an old computer that I can toss on the fan to keep it clean. And I think most of my problems came from a 10 hour build session in my shop which has no ac yet :rofl: heat melted my brain

It’s pretty resistant to dust. As long as it isn’t metal. I didn’t bother making a lid for my box, and no filters. I use compressed air to move the dust around the shop and I blast it occasionally. It is more important that it stays cool than it stays clean. Although the dust can clog heat sinks, but the rambo doesn’t have any.

I just have some long M2 or M2.5 screws. I printed some tiny spacers (I jeep a bunch of them. I print them 40mm high and I just cut them with a knife to size).

The box is attached to the LR with a french cleat (just an angled board) and it stays put. I pull it off to work on it sometimes. But I spend more time than I should rewiring it with the latest control board.

A 12V fan would be much easier, because it can get the power from the power supply.

1 Like

Awesome man! Thanks for the help and info! I hope to have it operational this week!