In building my second MPCNC I am reminded of how much difficulty I had with the outermost nuts on the XYZ part. I have tried the screwdriver trick, printing custom wedges, pre-inserting into the nylon, and everything else I can think of, and I always seem to end up mashing the plastic facets to be round with nothing to grab on to. Depending where I wedge the screwdriver I also managed to crack the part by de-laminating layers.
So I gave up and chopped the model (green shows removed area):
I’m sorry, Ryan, for defacing your design intent. I feel oddly guilty for mangling the part like this.
From the pictures it should be clear that tightening becomes a non-issue since two opposing sides of the bolt are freely accessible. Now it’s super easy, comparable to most of the other nuts and bolts, and no plastic gets mashed in the process.
I’m not sure how the computation is made for the engineering trade-off between stiffness and cursing, but for me at least this trade seems favorable.