I made another MP3DP.....kinda

Upgrades to the chair?

Itā€™s on thingiverse, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2754519

As usual I have all the rest to go. I have some mountain dew so fingers crossed i get a bunch done tonight.

Marshall, I really hope it was worth doing an emergency load of laundry. I mean I like it and all but itā€™s more of a ā€œtaking care of the sloppy mistakes on V1ā€ kinda thingā€¦

So on to the next one. Most of you know I tried the CoreXY stuff, we ended up with the ZenXY, but I donā€™t think I want to make a printer based on that. I do want to make a bowden style with the build plate on the Z axis, I think. I mean on the back burner after some LR and MPCNC updates. Maybe that is how I test some new CNC stuffā€¦Why canā€™t I ever stop and just enjoy being mostly caught upā€¦

Awesome. I spent this evening working on my old wanhao and Iā€™m ready to print some stuff. I would feel uncomfortable if I didnā€™t have a backup when I start this upgrade.

1 Like

All right, time to do some printing! Suggested infill percentage, layer height?

Smooth and sexy, thin to winā€¦dang it I canā€™t think of any more. I think I did them all at .25 and 20% There isnā€™t much infill room with 3 perimeters, so anything goes I think.

Iā€™ll give that a shot on at least the first few piecesā€¦ :slight_smile:

So I gotta ask ā€¦ why arenā€™t the angles on the corner pieces 45Ā°? It looks like theyā€™re 48Ā° or 41Ā° or something. My slicer puts the infill angle at 45Ā°, but it doesnā€™t quite match the outer walls, so it adds a short length to fill in.

Hmm. Originally is was asymmetrical. I switched back and just kept moving. When I did start looking at those parts it just seemed to be the right amount of plastic vs frame. the outer corner is 40Ā°, the inner was dictated by the frame thickness and leaving enough room for screw heads and nuts. I messed with the frame thickness a few times so instead of changing the front plates I had already cut IRL I changed the corners. lazy or genius?

I made 4-5 attempts at different designs, got irritated, sold my robos and needed to replace them in a hurry. I have two contenders I want to revisit. This one is my favorite, but next up will have to be the box style z bed / bowden.

[attachment file=50964]

This one actually uses a semi floating extruder and short bowden on the Cartesian frame. That is why I stopped working on it. I realized (a very obvious not sure why I never thought or realized it before) on this style the moving head and the moving bed would make a better system if they are equal in weight (or very similar). Both are just a ton of moving mass on this style. On the other overhead Cartesian (mpcnc style) much more speed and accuracy are possible, if the bowden is tuned properly and is short as possible, or direct drive.

1 Like

Iā€™m getting pretty good results with my MP3DP Bowden/E3Dv6/Titan combo. I occasionally can see where I donā€™t quite have the acceleration and jerk tuned completely (the last quarter mm on a corner will have a slight over extrusion, making a bump thatā€™s small enough you really have to know about before you can see it) but I can print at 60mm/sec reliably (80mm/sec can get wonky). I am doing a fairly large retraction (5mm or 5.5mm IIRC) which balances out the extra speed in some designs, but for designs with few sharp corners it works well.

Iā€™m hacking a mount right now to put a Chimera 2-2 in so I can play with two filaments at once and actually use the second extruder port on the RAMPS.

I havenā€™t looked at the designs that move the bed to do the Z travels, but there seem to be plenty of them in the wild. I kind of thought they would be temperamental in keeping the bed flat as the mechanism moves up and down.

That one you show certainly has plenty of cool. Iā€™m assuming the heat bed is still a rectangle, just with the corners overlapping the base. Is the nozzle (actually X axis) centered over the bed range? The trapezoid should be more rigid than a rectangle, I think.

Dang 60 is super fast, I need to do some speed tests, but all my machines (toys) I run slow. Sissy at heart I guess.

Very interested to see what you think about the dual nozzles. Are you in it more for the dual color or water based support support?

I just figure it would be cool to make a mpcnc gantry style machine. The prusa style to me just seems extremely efficient in terms of hardware. So I am interested what the extra hardware gains in real world performance. I only have experience with a really early flash forge and an airwolf in that config. Might see if I can add some style to a square frameā€¦just an experiment really.

The screenshot one was extremely minimal, with the nozzle centered over the square bed. I just felt it was going the wrong direction for what I needed.

Still need to work on the rest of the printer release stuff, just needed to take a day off and get out before a bunch of storms roll in to my neck of the woods.

Thatā€™s pretty crazy, Ryan. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m ready for something like that. :). Thereā€™s definitely wasted space under that axis with one bearing. Did you make it bigger on the other side, or smaller on that side?

Great that you enjoy doing that kind of thing. It would take me so long to get that far that I would insist on finishing, and forcing all my friends to buy one, just to avoid sunk costs.

I am thinking I might just pull out all the stops for this next printerā€¦ New extruder, A bltouch (I know), pei. I just tried pei for the first time. Iā€™m pretty excited. The first layer is perfect.

Two questions:

1. How much hardware is not compatible? Do I need longer rails or anything? Iā€™m assuming new belts are likely. It would be great if I didnā€™t have to redo my wiring butā€¦ Thatā€™s part of the fun, I guess.

2. Have you ever tried using the motors with the builtin leadscrews? I think they are becoming more common now that itā€™s been a while since prusa added them.

1-Depending on the thickness the screws will probably be different. As for the expensive stuff all the same except I use 16T toothed idlers instead of the larger 608ā€™s, less rotational inertiaā€¦probably no big deal but that is how I see it.

2-They will work, just a hassle to ship on my end. I am also not 100 convinced that is the best idea. I think I know why they went that route but I haven;t seen the coupler issues in a long time. The early ones were not centered well, I think they used to be a two op thing now they are one for no miss alignments. I can see I have a bent mount on one printer and it still prints great thanks to the coupler.

I really like the idea of the bl touch even more than the pinda probes. Now that Marlin 2.0 has all the edit for them they will probably be more common. I also want to bring in some of the OLED screens as those edits are built in as well.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking more at two colors rather than including the water soluble, though the two colors could easily be something like silver and woodā€¦ My impression is that water soluble is more flexible than normal PLA which could be a challenge with the bowden setup. I could easily be wrong there though.

Iā€™m almost done printing parts. Iā€™ll have to get someone to help with the milled pieces though, I donā€™t have access to the garage and my MPCNC until Iā€™m out of the wheelchair (four to five weeks yet). I am still planning on milling in a display mount at the top of the XZ Frame.

So with a gantry design would you be milling an enclosure or doing something with extruded aluminum?

Jeff, the dual extruder mount Iā€™m playing with right now has a BLTouch bracket, and I just happen to have a couple of the Chinese clonesā€¦ Iā€™ll definitely have it in the mix. :slight_smile: Iā€™ve been using PEI for months and itā€™s great! I sure wish I could find it affordably in larger sheets, the XL really, really wants it too.

What? There are chinese clones? Where? The $40 seems pretty steep to meā€¦ Now I feel bad.

Like this guy?

This guy is cool (black), but still not cheap enough for me to not get the ā€œoriginalā€.

Would this one be more in your price range?

I think I have covered 99% of the instructions. As usual let me know what errors yaā€™ll find. Or any missing or confusing info.

https://www.v1engineering.com/projects/project-3d-printer/

Hardware:

Here is a simplified hardware list, a few are made for shorter but this is as simple as it gets. You can als go longer on most all of these.
perhaps should be:
Here is a simplified hardware list, a few parts are made for shorter hardware but this is as simple as it gets. You can also go longer on most all of these.
Looks like the list is missing the springs.

You should also include the MK Fan itself, since weā€™re printing the funnel.

2 Likes

Thanks! I will change the words, the springs and fan are on / in the specialty parts list on the left side.