I think this is a loose stepper issue?

Getting this error in X axis. Typically on the first bit of the first cut. I cut out 2 identical things for one of my kids, long in Y and short in X. First example returned this photo.

So it seems to be dragging the router down the Y axis correctly but comes in from the side as if the router has not traveled far enough in X first.

Or is there some software setting that could be funny before I pull it apart?

Puzzled old Rob

It might just be the lighting, but it looks like your burning plywood there. Might need a sharper bit.

Is the x axis the tube direction or the wheel direction on your machine?

Did you recheck your grub screws?

2 Likes

X axis is across the machine, the tube orientation.

Funny thing is I put a new router bit on yesterday. Single flute upcut bought from Ryan.

Does that mean I am running it too slow?

Rob

Not yet. Figured would put the photos out to the experts before I did that. Have had trouble with that in the past.

But this time the rest of the cuts are all fine. Exact dimensions etc.

So thought would ask before I did the deed.

Rob

It is hard to say for sure, but I worry about the wheels traveling sideways. I installed some steps of wood inside the wheels to keep them on track.

A loose pulley or bass writing can also make you skip some steps.

I bet you are cutting too slow, but go deeper first.

I never thought of the wheels moving. Will do some tests on that.

Will cut deeper too.

Thanks.

Making a camp bed/platform for daughters Subaru. Great fun.

Rob

4 Likes

“A loose pulley or bass writing can also make you skip some steps.”… what is bass writing?

R

Bumbum bum…

I meant bad wiring. Haha

A fish with soggy paper?:crazy_face::dolphin:

Looking at Picture 1. It appears that you plunge cut at your finger and move left. If this is is true then I think your plunge rate is a little fast. My reasoning is because I see you have the same offset at the web on the other side. But as noted by others, may just be the camera. If this was done in 2 passes. Looks like the first plunge is not the same depth as the pass ended over the web. To much pressure and the bit ‘walked’ to the softer side.

I’ve found on a few cuts if I plunge or ramp too aggressively, my router deflects some and then smoothes out.

Running into a dense bit of material, and a tiny skip and now the cutting is shifted too.

What are the feedrates and details you were working with? I assume most of us have run into symptoms like this before. Aside from grub screws, often it is overly aggressive feeds. Curious to hear the solution you find.