Ikea Curtains pipes mounted for test

Hi all!

Maybe i have very very wrong here, but i have one Curtain road at home, and it works perfect from Ikea, about 4$, (swedish croins 39skr), Ikea says it holds for 10kg, I Will try it and see how it works. Maybe to weak???. Someone else have try it?, or maybe need Harder materials so it works Better?

Video test
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hGkhz59wxGer79hP9

Uploading: IMG_20191221_205409.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20191221_205403.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20191221_205458.jpg…

![IMG_20191221_205711|375x500] (upload://mK2xeYVaAdflQHyNryCXaNHvxKr.jpeg)

Do you have a product link? I’m curious if it says what it is made from and if it is available everywhere.

How thick is the wall?

0.7mm and I Will find link quickly

on webbsite Ikea say 28mm, its True, but im using that inside pipe for Curtains. Let me show everyone.

Material: Steel, Epoxy, powdercoating

2 Likes

Thanks. 0.027" is about half of the recommendation for the LR. Powder coated steel is also a new one, but I bet it works out. It would certainly work for a smaller LR. I’m not sure it would work for a full sized one.

The price is right though. Here is the english/US page:

Interestingly, 25mm - 1.4mm = 23.6mm, which makes me wonder if it would get stiffer with some conduit inside.

2 Likes

Excellent, i will test Ikea Curtains, maybe im first in the world. Hahahaha, after testning, i will maybe Change to Better materials…

That would be cool if they worked, if you are making a smaller build I think they would stand up okay, nothing too big though!

2 Likes

I think about 2400mm x 1400mm, so i will use Better pipes… But If I make one smaller LR2, i can use Ikeas pipes :heart::1st_place_medal::medal_sports::grin::gift:

I just happened to have one of those hanging on my wall and just gave it a good squeeze. I can definitely feel the metal deforming under my thumb. I had to squeeze tight, though.

Might be more crush resistant if you filled it with an expanding foam, but that gets a lot more complex for a build.

I’m also not convinced that the paint will last. It’s hard, but is it “repeated wear hard”? Although that’s less of a problem because if the paint starts wearing off the bar can simply be rotated to expose fresh paint.

Lastly, from a stiffness standpoint, here’s the graph of the bending moment of inertia for the inside rod and the outside rod, referenced against a 1" x 0.065" tube.

You can see that in both cases there’s a net drop in inertia, although relative to weight there’s an advantageous drop for the 28mm tube (64% of the inertia for 49% of the weight).

1 Like