Illustrator text not being imported

I’m using an old version, Adobe Illustrator 10, to design cockpit panels for my MPCNC. I converted the text to objects and exported as .dxf but when I import into Estlcam the text objects are not there, only the circles and lines.
Jerry

I believe you need to convert the font to outlines. Sorry, I’m not in front of my computer right now so I can’t remember the exact steps.

@Jerrymc3 you can also post your file if you like and I can try it on my version. Hopefully we can work out a good process that can be done on your version.

Gato, I tried to upload my file but I got an error message that this forum doesn’t support .ai or .dxf file formats. My son who works in graphics design for a sign company helped me convert the text to an outline. He has a lot of experience with Adobe Illustrator. He helped me design some cockpit panels for a laser printer about ten years ago. My old version of Illustrator won’t export to .svg format, it probably didn’t even exist back then. If there is some other way I can send the file to you let me know.

Jerry

File types the forum does not support can be put inside a ZIP file and uploaded.

1 Like

Okay, that worked.
Jerry
Left DU Files.zip (195.4 KB)

@Jerrymc3 sorry, I didn’t notice your response sooner. I think pdf would also work but it sounds like you don’t need help any more. Can you share what you guys ended up doing to get it to work?

We didn’t get it to work. The lines and circles would open in Estlcam but the text that we converted to objects would not. I sent you the dxf file in a zip and was waiting to see if you had any luck with it.

Jerry

@Jerrymc3 See if this works.

Left DUs Panel Ready for CNC-test.zip (410.4 KB)

There is an ai file saved to version 10, a pdf and a dxf file saved to 2000.

If one of those works I can tell you what I did. Good luck!

1 Like

I was able to open the dxf file in Estlcam and I think I created the tool paths correctly but I have to use Repetier-Host for my cnc since it uses the Rambo board and Marlin firmware. I downloaded a program called dxf2gcode but it didn’t work. Please let me know how you did that and if you know of a freeware program I can use to convert to gcode.

I tried again to use DXF2GCODE. I clicked on Export-Export Shapes and under Save as type: the only option was G-CODE for LinuxCNC (*.ngc) so I click on Save. Then I start Repetier-Host and try to load it but it doesn’t recognize that file extension. I don’t know if LinuxCNC is just for Linux operating systems but I’m using Windows10.

Did you go through the Estlcam Basics page? It also sounds like it might be good for you to go over the Software Workflow as well.

I use Fusion360 so I don’t have experience with Estlcam but there are a lot of people that use it successfully in the community. For your setup you would use it to create the gcode files. The gcode would then need to be transferred via Repiter.

I run headless. Which means I have a touch screen attached to my control board and I place the gcode files on an SD card and insert it into a card reader located on the back of the display. I believe you could add a screen to your Rambo board and run similarly if you wanted to go that route in the future.

I also tried using DXF2Gcode and I didn’t have a whole lot of success either.

AFAIK LinuxCNC only works on Linux. Note that Marlin requires a .gcode format so that is why it doesn’t recognize the .ngc files.

Read through the links above to see if that helps clear things up a bit and ask any additional questions that come up.

You may be able to just change the file extension to something RH is okay with. Gcode files are “plain text” but there are different ‘dialects’ so I’d still take a close look at the simulation, and probably do an “air cut” as well.

@Jerrymc3 I just saw this on another thread and thought you might want to try it out.

Hi Gato, I downloaded Temujin CAM and before trying to convert any of my files I tried routing one of his, the CNC Sign. I got the display screen with my Rambo card and also the Tiny Touch Plate. I had to change the file extention from .nc to .gcode so it would be recognized by my board. I edited the code in repetier and added these lines at the beginning:
G28 Z
G92 Z0.5
G0 Z5 F480
This was suppose to set the Z axis and move the router up to remove the touch plate. The router did move up but then it started air cutting without moving down. I thought I followed the instructions on setting the z axis but maybe I misunderstood something.
I also want to mention that I installed the end stops on my setup so I used the parallel wiring. When I Home all axis the gantry moves to the left front corner but then the Z axis burys itself into the table and I have to pull the plug to stop it. How do I set the zero x,y,z axis to somewhere closer to the center of my table? I built my rig probably a lot larger than what I’m going to need for most of my projects.

Jerry

1 Like

@Jerrymc3, you may want to start another thread with a different title since there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of Illustrator users on the forum so this title won’t get a lot of traffic. That way more people will likely join in since they’ll see it’s a machine/programming question not an AI question.

But let me see if I can help. I couldn’t find a build thread by you so I assume this is a new Primo? build. Please correct me if I’m wrong and skip any parts that you’ve already done.

First off did you successfully plot the Test Crown? Doing this helps to rule out programming related issues and helps to verify that your machine is running correctly. Endstops/homing is not required. Also make sure that you print Ryan’s pen holder or similar for better plotting. Note that a lighter force (pen pressure) normally produces better results.

If that looks good, next confirm that your machine is square and the travel distances are correct. I did this by drawing the largest rectangle that I could repeatably/accurately measure. You could also use Jamie’s test pattern generator which is pretty slick.

At this point you could either proceed without using endstops or set them up and dial your machine in. Note that endstops are not required to successfully run your machine. I have heard of many users not using them at all with very good success. The main advantage of endstops are for really dialing in the squareness of your machine. They also help to set a repeatable starting position but that can also be accomplished using hardstops. Now it sounds like you already have them running but did you dial them in? If not you may want to do so by using the previous rectangle or generated test pattern but that’s only if you feel you need to.

Now on to your homing question. It looks correct but what are the next lines of code? Is there another G92 after your z homing that resets the home position at the last position (5mm above your original 0)? If so you may need to add a move to return it to zero after there is a pause to remove the touch plate. I personally would create a dedicated homing program that you would run prior to running your cutting program so you don’t have to add it to each program. You can easily type that up in a text editor and rename like hm-xy.gcode and hm-z.gcode or similar.

Regarding your second question (once again I’m assuming you are running a Primo). X & Y homing should move the core to the front left corner of your work area until the endstops are triggered. Z homing should move the router down until the touch plate is detected. It will continue to move down until a touch plate is detected, you bottom out on the table, or you kill the power. Your Z motor will make what sounds like gear grinding if it bottoms out but that is just the motor skipping steps, not mechanical grinding/damage. So you should NEVER use home all. I believe Repetier only has one homing option (all axis) since it was designed for 3D printing so you’ll either have to send manual commands (one set of commands to home X&Y for squaring and a second set when you are ready to set Z) or run a dedicated homing program for the two (instead of adding it to the beginning of each program).

When I start up my machine I will home X & Y first then I will jog the tool over to my work piece and set the Z height. I have a touch plate however I normally use an old machinist trick to set Z instead. I slide a piece of paper between the end of the cutter (with the router off) and workpiece. Then I slowly lower the Z while moving the paper back and forth (you’d use the manual controls on Repter at the lowest increment). I stop lowering Z when the cutter snags the paper and then I zero Z. If I want to get really exact I’ll move the cutter down the thickness of the paper and re-zero Z (after moving up, removing the paper and moving it back down). That’s normally not super critical for woodworking but may be needed for your panel parts.

Now I have not used Temujin CAM so I don’t know how well it works. I only recommended that you look into it since you were looking for an alternative to easily go from dxf to gcode. You’ll need to verify that the gcode it creates is Marlin “friendly”. I’m a little concerned that if it’s creating .nc gcode it may be added some non-marlin commands but Marlin normally ignores them so it may not be an issue just something to keep in mind in the future.

Sorry about the lengthy response. Hopefully this helps.

I built the MPCNC Router.

BlockquoteWhen I start up my machine I will home X & Y first then I will jog the tool over to my work piece and set the Z height

Blockquote
I’m not sure how to do this. Do I have to let X & Y go all the way to the end stops or can I home them closer to my work piece using the lcd screen.

1 Like

Looking at your picture that shows the screen: The image shown is NOT one that I remember seeing on my MPCNC with the standard firmware. I also have a rambo on my MPCNC. Are you using one of these:tested firmware?

If you have used Estlcam to reprogram the firmware on the controller board, then most of the documentation on this site will not apply directly to your machine.

Mike

I think I installed the V1CNC_Rambo_Dual firmware but its been a while so I can’t remember for sure. These are the three screens as it boots up.

510D indicates that it’s v510 (Current is 513) and the D is for dual endstop Primo/Burly firmware