Image to Gcode Converter

removed $32 from pp

1 Like

Hi guys! Sorry for the long absence … I have the exam preparation phase currently, so I can not respond quickly …

First of all @Aaryn thank you very much for this detailed report!

You are right, I have made this app focused to work with my 3D printer. Acceleration and jerk makes it difficult to get the same good results on different machines.

About suggestions. Unfortunatly I am not able to implement all the points you have suggested in near future, but I can make some small changes like:

• add the laser off command to the end of the gcode file. (and I am so sorry for this, because it must have since first version)
  • speed sliders. I love them :) but you are right, it is difficult to make small changes with mouse. I use the mouse only for rough tuning and arrow keys for fine tuning. Have you tried to move the mouse by cliking NOT directly on its blue shape? So you can adjust it more precisely. But I have an idea. I can change the speed values ​​of sliders from mm/min to mm/sec so it will be only 400 steps vs 24000 (I think 400 mm/sec will be enough for all machines).
  • add Gcode to the beginning of the file that will turn the laser on with a power level of 5 (of 255) so it is visible. That's not difficult to make.
  • Add the ability to set the origin as the center of the image
I can implement all these features until the end of January.

Pass extension and “power vs. speed” test will take little more time.

ps: can you try to set the travel speed to be the same as feedrate? The feature of skiping white areas will be lost, but you will have the constant speed entire X-axis (except the corners)

2 Likes

Victor you rock! Thanks for the tip on how to test with matching speeds to skip the white skipping. I’ll try that.

Best of luck to you on your exams and thank you!

1 Like

Thank you, Aaryn!

Which programm did you use to engrave the horse image? Did you edited the image? I ask you because it looks different compare to original horse image you posted. Black lines on the original image are white on your result.

I also tried the LaserGRBL app and it is really powerfull. I also wanted to add support for vector images and raster-to-vector algorithms to my app (especially for PCBs), but then I saw the LaserGRBL has it already. So I decided to look the source code and edited just couple of code lines to make it work with Marlin. I also added the “M106”, “M106 P1”, “M107” and “M107 P1” commands. I think I have to ask LaserGRBL developer if I can share the modified LaserGRBL for Marlin here.

I have tested LaserGRBL and Image to Gcode Converter with same settings and the results are identical, althrough it took about 10% less engraving time with Image to Gcode Converter because LaserGRBL has no option to set travel speed. The image I tested was 60mm x 20mm. With larger images the time difference will be bigger.

Have a nice day!

I am posting this from an iPad so copy and paste is harder and slower. The link I have here at the bottom will take you to my thread where I made the first horse using the image2Gcode app that was featured in another thread here in the forum. It has a bug that makes it skip pure black pixels. That’s why it looks like it has black lines around the edges. Those shouldn’t be there.

So If I understand the GPL v3 right, I can share the modified version of LaserGRBL. Here is it

Hi guys!

I have released a new version 1.0 of Image To Gcode Converter! Check it out!

2 Likes

Huge Thanks! I’ll be testing both of these in the couple days.

Hi, I am new in this thread and I would like to know if ImagetoGcode only works with GRBL. Also what are you using to generate Gcode for laser engraving and cutting? Thanks. Silvio from Brazil.

Ryan has some links at the bottom his laser page.

this thread is discussing a different program that is working pretty well. No you don’t have to use it with GRBL. If you read the thread you will get a better idea of how well it works.

1 Like

Hello, guys!

I have just released the new version of ImageToGcode on Thingiverse.

In this version:

• separate adjusting vertical and horizontal resolution
  • overscan
  • cleaner GCode by equal burn and travel speed
and here you can see the first result with overscan function

Have a nice day!

2 Likes

Nice!!!

OH! OH! I am sot stoked!!! Can’t wait to try this! Thanks Victor!

1 Like

You are welcome!

And there is the new 1.2.6! I added some simple image edit functions like brightness, contrast and gamma correction. I think it will be helpful.

Hi guys! Is GRBL supporting this 3D printer GCode format? Can anyone try it? If so, I want to add ability to set higher max values to the app. Thank you!

Hello everybody,

I would like to test the LaserGRBL modified by Victor. Unfortunately, I am beginner and I do not get it compiled.

It would be great if someone provides the software for Windows 10.

I spent the whole day with it but I can not get any further

Thanks!

Downloaded Victor’s latest ImageToGcode from Thingiverse… 1.2.9. First tried it on Linux/Wine… then my Win7 box. Same issue both times… it loads up fine but I get the following exception when I try to load an image…

[attachment file=“Screenshot at 2019-06-25 18-31-29.png”]

Any clues? I never had problems with an earlier version that we used when troubleshooting the raster issues with later Marlin versions.

– David

Screenshot-at-2019-06-25-18-31-29.png

Just a wild guess, but I bet it’s failing when trying to print an error message for you…

Nothing you can do. It’s almost certainly a bug that needs to be fixed on his end. One of the reasons I like open source is that I can make fixes and PR stuff like this if it happened to me.

1 Like

Hi, David!

can you please make a screenshot of details about this exception? On my Windows 10 pc it runs without any problems.

Can you also try this version ? It is not the same 1.2.9 that you can find on Thingiverse: https://mega.nz/#!Ft8ilYBb!UvXgmD7I5XDJllnGMX4hWOiQYqfzwA83W0cQLEypr58