Inconsistent thickness

I’m running a program from fusion 360.

It first does a 2d adaptive to hollow out the heart, then a contour on the outside to cut it out.

The problem is that I keep getting inconsistent thickness between the adaptive and border.

I did just noticed that the entire adaptive was running in climb milling, but could that be the problem here or am I missing something else.

Adaptive is 20mm/s with 3 mm doc on a .25" 2 flute uncut.
Contour is 12mm/s with 2mm doc same tool

Initially I thought your spindle might be mounted crooked…but it actually looks like something might be catching or snagging. Do you have a vac hose on there, or drag chain, extension cord…something. Picture of you machine could help.

It is only getting pulled in that one area, so either that gcode is all bad or you have a snag.

Those speeds seem pretty aggressive for a .25" dual flute endmill. At least until you get perfect cuts.

No vac hose but I have a chain that has failed me but the chords don’t seem to be in tension at any point.

I can try fastening them better and try reducing the speed.

I have noticed in the past that my circular adaptive clearing seems ovular

Also to note it once worked. Speeds feeds and machine setup.

1 Like

Is something loose? Maybe a grub screw on a pulley is walking around on the flat.

1 Like

You mean on a motor?

Hard to tell how close the zip tie on that angle is to the core. I got caught on those all the time, and replaced them with a couple wraps of electrical tape.

I know it doesn’t seem like much. Try zipping the cables to the core clamps and not the Z stepper. That is the sort of thing that happens when just a little tiny bit of force happens way up there.

And the number one cause of this stuff…grub screw. Heffe is right. Adaptive takes so much less force than the slotting you are doing on the outside. That is an inflection point with a very small curve so no accel and a change in direction…grub screw.

1 Like

Where’s the grub screw?

also just noticed this bearing is not moving

The grub screws hold the gear on the shaft of the motor.

Definitely check the grub screws…number 1 sneaky issue.

As for that bearing, it is best to take the center apart and put it back together. 9/10 it works better the second time.