Inkscape file to ESTLCAM

I have successfully imported a few Inkscape files into ESTLCAM but am having trouble with the one I have attached here. My goal is to carve a sign with this design. It was easy to create in Inkscape which is why I chose that route, but when I open the file (native .svg file) it does not show any of the objects.

Edit:
ESTLCAM version 8.505
Inkscape version 0.91

Performed an Object to Path command and got the 3rd attachment. Getting closer.

I am running the latest version of Estlcam and was able to import the SVG file.

I generally do object or bitmap to path, and do the edge option. after that I just do ‘save as’ -> dxf and select the scale.

I had one this weekend that things opened scaled all wrong in estlcam. Half the file opened at one scale the other half at another. But I exported it as DXF instead and then it opened just fine in estlcam.

I still need to try the new version…I downloaded it but haven’t finished configuring it and setting up my tools yet. Looks nice though!

I am having the same issue. I am trying to make a Christmas ornament and have tried saving as SVG & as DXF but neither will open with anything other than a standard oval in Estlecam.

My guess is that the problem is with the program you are using to create the DXF or SVG files. Many programs have layers or sketches that only contain part of what you see and want to export. So when you export that layer or sketch you are only getting part of your design like the oval above.

Text is even harder. Many programs like fusion 360 you need to do an extra step to make the text become part of the sketch that will export. Right click and explode text. Then the text becomes lines and curves in the sketch that will export as part of the DXF file.

1 Like

I did try that but the scaling was way off. I found that I could still get the estlcam 0.92.3 download and did that. Everything worked fine then. Not sure what they changed that makes it incompatible.

I use estlcam and inkscape . It delivers great results. Also it’s free. I use a XP-Pen Artist 12 Pro drawing tablet with screen for most of my vector drawings, Inkscape scaled the stroke thickness according to the pressure .

If anyone else stumbles on this, here’s what worked for me:

Click on the text, select Path --> Object to Path.

Then the text will appear when saved as a DXF.

I know in Adobe Illustrator, I sometimes have to do the following:

• flatten the file to one layer
  • ctrl-A to select all
  • Obj -> path
  • export to dxf

I’ve had better luck with dxf importing to estlcam than svg.

If the paths aren’t closed properly then estlcam can’t seem to see it.

And if the direction of the path changes, or there’s little ‘loops’ then estlcam has all types of issues. After converting to path, you may need to run a ‘simply path’ command to clean it up.