Inkscape to Estlcam?

OK, so you were/are a serious motorcycle enthusiast. Looks like there could be some nice crest work in some of those, but I’d be tempted by a series of minimalist plaques.

What would look awesome would be a laser-etched vector profile of the actual model you owned below the brand logo. Just a simple architectural-style line drawing. Assuming you only owned one model of each brand. Otherwise it might become cumbersome, or be perceived as braggadocio.

Nah, I was a slacker, I knew at least two guys who had more than two dozen bikes at the same time. The laser idea kinda fascinates me but reading some of the threads here it sounds like they can also be a bit of a puzzle. Right now I’d be happy getting to where I thought I could utilize the MPCNC to its potential.

That look great maybe try a grinding cutter prone of the burr edge cutters. With the edge lighting it will be great.

Lots of different things I want to try. This was cut with an old Sears 1/4" shank 1/8" cutter that’s kinda zero flute, the cutting part profile itself is like a semi-circle with a little lip on each edge.

Another Inkscape question. I have a half-shape I’d like to mirror, I have two end points I eyeballed to be vertically aligned that (probably from some other program I’ve used) I thought I’d be able to draw a line between and mirror around that line but that’s apparently not the case. I’ve watched a few tutorials but they seem to be from different versions and I’m trying to find the path of least resistance to get this done. So, is there a way of doing this relatively easily.?

Like half a heart? Type thing?

That’d work for what I’m doing. I’ve just looked at so many different programs lately I can’t remember one from the other sometimes. I know I’ve mirrored something somewhere for some reason but the specifics escape me.

I’m close but no cigar, I eyeballed it but it wasn’t a closed shape.
I could keep diddlin’ with it until it was but I’m pretty sure I’m just missing an easier way. :woozy_face:

An easy way is select your part
Duplicate
Then object
Flip horizontal
Move the part that is selected to align
Then select both halves
Path
Union
Then clean up with node editing

From what I’ve been reading I thought the easiest way would be to snap my two points to a vertical guide and mirror around that, just haven’t figured out how yet. I did try it the other way but things were off enough to apparently require a good bit of clean-up to keep Estlcam happy. I’m trying to see if I can mirror around a guide as much to see whether I want to spend a lot of time learning Inkscape or not as much as anything else. Seems like a pretty basic function to me.

1 Like

Yes you are right just not how I learned I will try that later to dont see it either will have to see tuts. Maybe that’s why I did it the way I did? Mirroring should be there it is in vetric and corel

Heck, I had more than two dozen bikes at one time… Of course that was years ago. I’m down to just Honda now: 1960 CSA76, 1962 CA95, 1964 S90, 1965 CB160, 1968 P50, 1982 VF750S (that last one is by far the newest bike I’ve ever owned).

It’s funny, I tried to watch some tutorials the other day and couldn’t get any audio, I swear I clicked every possible place dealing with sound/troubleshooting link I could find with no joy. It was late and I signed off, next day the audio was back.

Mirroring seems so basic. I had printed a small dust shoe that seemed to work pretty well but had a vertical pipe that interfered with the spindle lock on the 660. I mirrored the clamps in Cura and printed them yesterday, problem solved.

1 Like

I never rode an earlier VF but a friend had a 1994 VFR that was surely one of the sweetest bikes I ever rode.

Once again I’m not sure if I expect too much from Estlcam or just haven’t figured out the method.

I have a .dxf drawing with two issues trying to create a toolpath. One is a gap between two lines that would intersect if extended and the other is excess length of lines extending beyond their intersection point. Using manual shape detection I can create points at those intersections. Those points don’t seem very useful unless I can trim at or extend to the lines at those points. Am I asking too much or just not looking in the right place?

Maybe make sure the lines are connected in inkscape?

I’m not sure if you’re talking about mirroring anymore but the estlcam manual mentions mirroring here: https://www.estlcam.de/e2_zeichnung.php

It also has mirroring in the edit menu.

But gaps and excess line lengths aren’t limited to Inkscape drawings. What is the point of Estlcam allowing you to create these points if you can’t use them to fix the issues?

I’m not sure what to do there. From what little I’ve done in estlcam, I don’t think I was ever able to create lines or modify existing ones aside from scaling them.

Me either, I’m gonna watch a few Estlcam tutorials about tool paths. I can generate a point using the manual shape detection but don’t see much use for it if I can’t make use of that point. I’m still trying to learn how to work around not having an ‘undo’ function.

FINALLY figured out how to make use of manual shape detection and work from a less than perfect drawing. V8

Now to get another piece of foam to finalize and then cut in wood.

My apologies to those who really made an effort to help me thru this in Fusion, try as I might I just couldn’t get it to work, there’s apparently many invisible factors in the file. I truly appreciate your efforts!

3 Likes

Good work it feels good when it clicks :face_with_monocle::partying_face:

1 Like