Inkscape: Which Font Used

Let’s say you create an SVG in Inkscape using certain fonts. The below screen shot is simple, but it could be much more complicated with multiple font’s. You “Object to Path” the image, save it as a DXF and import it into EstlCAM. Great, fine, all is good.

But months later you re-open the Inkscape document (SVG) to figure out what fonts you used. I cannot figure out how to do this. In the example picture below, the font is Beauty Mountains, but I just know that is what I used. If you click on the object it does not give you what font you used.

I suspect the answer might be you cannot. This is because after you place your text it is no longer a text object per se. Its a path, or an svg element and cannot be reversed engineered.

However, this seems strange to me. If I was a graphic artist using Inksacpe to draw poster using a multitude of fonts, I am not going to document what I used it outside of Inkscape.

I must be missing something.

1 Like

I suspect that too. I wonder if there are best practices that help with this. Like saving a version before converting path or something?

1 Like

The SVG file format accommodates a variety of metadata.

In Inkscape, the metadata can be viewed/edited via the file/document properties menu item.

This will open a window, which contains a tab for Metadata.

This is where you would want to store font or other such data.

2 Likes

There are apps to upload images and it will photo search the font.

What the font comes to mind.

Off to google.

Edit : try this. https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/?expData=eyJwcmljZSI6MC4wLCJwb3B1bGFyaXR5IjowLjIsIm1faXAiOjAsInByZWRpY3Rpb24iOjEsImZhaXJuZXNzZmFjdG9yIjowfQ==&utm_expid=.EVIhb5J_QZyS_CFjlMuTvg.4&utm_referrer=

1 Like

My wife uses layers. The original font is in the bottom layer. The “convert to path” is in the layer above it. This is in ai, but you could probably do something similar.

Personally, I just do everything in comic sans so I don’t have to remember.

1 Like

I save them as native SVGs and bring them into EstlCAM. They open fine. Even after the object is converted to paths, the metadata keeps the font name like @Paradox_Pete says.

All else fails go here:

I have been using inkscape for years and never looked at the metadata I have saved copies and on. Layers but never thought of that but it makes sense

1 Like

:rofl:

3 Likes

I don’t have words… Well, I have words, but they aren’t kind, supportive, or nurturing words. Maybe someone with a fluent command of German could suggest a few good words to convey the newfound existential loathing I feel towards someone I otherwise like and respect. They have good words for things like that… :clown_face:

3 Likes

My wife is an Art teacher. I do it just to annoy her :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, well. Then carry on.

3 Likes

Wow, a teacher who doesn’t like comic sans. That’s a keeper.:rofl:

1 Like

She has a graphic design degree from Dallas Art Institute and did marketing before deciding to be a teacher. My understanding is that they teach you to despise comic sans in the corporate world.

1 Like

Thanks to those who responded. In case some else stumbles across this post here are the summary of things that helped that mostly derived from what was posted above. I am not an Inkscape expert so this is mostly about the quick and dirty means.

Open the SVG in a text editor

Turns out the Inkscape SVG is just a text XML file. Open it in a text file editor and search for “font-family:”

Command line search/filter

From a command line (windows) issue something like this:

This will create a file called junk.txt with just the lines that have the text “font-family:” in it. You can then open “junk.txt” to parse through a much shorter amount of information.

Use Inkscape XML Editor

Do an “Edit->XML Editor” and click through the objects and XML nodes to font the font-family. The minor problem here is two fold: First, I don’t think there is a search capability. Second, still be mindful of the minor caution I note above.

Use Metadata

You can use “File → Document Properties → Metadata” to document fonts for additional future reference.

Avoid Using Flowed Text If Not Required

This is more of a use recommendation. I got additionally confused when I clicked on my text and a blue border went around it but the blue border was offset greatly from my text. I found the following link helpful in that regard.

https://inkscape.org/forums/questions/what-is-the-diamond-shaped-holder-at-text-object-inputedit-frame/

2 Likes

I am lucky enough to be married to a studio artist turned graphic designer who runs her own 5 person studio.

I can confirm.

1 Like

Thank you for this nice little tip!

1 Like

I really appreciate how you are able to keep the original intent of the thread, between all the derailing. I’m impressed and amused!

1 Like