Insanity in Orlando, a LowRider2 RE-build -- 35"x64" w/ motorized top!?

First, I want to leave a small disclaimer. Ryan has designed some amazing machines. I highly recommend you start by building them as intended. You can always modify to your particular needs once you have more experience with the machine.

A couple months ago, I introduced my new Primo build and mentioned that I was thinking about downsizing my old LowRider2 build to gain back some garage space. It was getting cramped, in large part because earlier this year I caved and added a bulky Chinese laser. But then I thought to myself, “This sounds too easy, I’m sure I can make this harder than it needs to be.” — or something like that :roll_eyes:.

Instead of downsizing the work area to 24"x48", I ended up making it a full 14" longer than the original for a total of 35"x64" usable space. This was achieved by extending the Y rails past either end of the machine to account for unusable space at either end. I have also converted to a new V-rail system (using 1/2" aluminum angle) which ensures Y-axis integrity without slippage. And, I’m using a new drag chain to remove overhead power delivery, and gain access back to my second garage door — a major consideration in this build. I can easily unhook the vacuum hose from the ceiling when I need to open the door.

Electronics have been upgraded to the Rambo 1.4 for dual endstops (thank you @jeffeb3 for the help!) + Z-probe (tiny touch plate) and a MeanWell 24V power supply. I’m also now running my high-torque 92oz steppers at a toasty 1250mA, which required the addition of heatsinks and cooling to the stepper drivers (I can easily set them to 1500mA, but am trying to keep the temps on the cool side). I will probably make a custom top for the case at some point, but for now, I just milled out the fan recess on my Primo — despite some melting around the edges, it’s entirely passable. And I’m still running the Iot relay for spindle power control.

But now for the fun stuff, the table top rises a full 30 inches!!! — with the help of four linear actuators and drawer slides — to allow access to the laser cutter below. I still have a little tweaking to do with speed control on the linear actuators due to slight variances, but it’s largely irrelevant as the machine always returns to the exact same point when at rest.

20201105_223328_3

As you probably already noticed, I went with a new t-track spoilboard as well. Final surfacing and grid complete, she’s ready for action!

Overall, I’m really happy with how things turned out and I’m loving the reclaimed garage space. Also, now that I can open both garage doors again, I can really go to town with the leaf blower when I want to purge dust from the shop :crazy_face: :mask:.

Hope you find this interesting. Thanks and good luck with your builds!

17 Likes

I’m thinking, “This is a great looking build” and then…

Whoa! That is over the top. How awesome is that.

I really appreciate you sharing. There is interesting stuff in each photo. Great work.

3 Likes

Wow that is freaking awesome

1 Like

I was wondering how to store my Lowrider with its table and you have done this. Now I am thinking of hanging mine from the ceiling.

2 Likes

Literally, over the top of the laser cutter!

This is a really cool build! Nice work!

4 Likes

Mind blown…

1 Like

Amazing build, some great ideas in this thread!

1 Like

I love the table lift! May I ask the purpose of the sock around the top if the router?

1 Like

@davem I read somewhere that the sock helps the brushes to last longer by keeping dust/debris from getting sucked into the router. It is thought that excess grit causes brushes to wear prematurely. Whether this is actually true may be debatable, but the sock doesn’t hurt anything and the logic sounds good enough to me.

2 Likes

Thanks!

https://tenor.com/view/attractive-kung-fu-panda-awesome-rabbit-bunny-gif-15855238

What a clever concept using those actuators! Nice!!

Oh without derailing this too much. Happy with that laser machine? most of them can’t use lightburn so are you happy with the k40whisperer or is it something else you using?

@mrjadez I’ve been very happy with the laser machine. It has a Ruida controller, so I use LightBurn.

For more specs, I’ll point you to the seller:
RECI W2 100W 1060 Laser Engraving Machine RUIDA DSP

My experience with them was very good. Their communication was prompt, if not a bit annoying, as they REALLY wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting and asked me to confirm my understanding of the machine’s capabilities multiple times before they would start the shipping process. They also have YouTube videos of everything, including uncrating.

The most important things I was looking for were a quality RECI tube and a Ruida controller, specifically because I wanted to use LightBurn. I also like that this version has the option to use either knives or honeycomb as the bed, depending on the project. I performed the common ammeter upgrade so I could see the laser current draw. And I had already picked up an official S&A CW-5200 which I use instead of the included knock-off brand chiller, though it probably works fine.

I hope this information helps.

2 Likes

It does, thanks.

Just regard the acoustic coupling.