Internal voids in parts

[attachment file=115468]

I noticed this internal structure in the C-Roller and C-RollerM parts. I’m guessing that is a deliberate addition? If so, how much extra strength does this add vs. the surrounding infill? Isn’t most of the stress in a part along the skin?

EDIT: I’m talking about the opening surrounded by perimeters on the top of the parts, not the gap in the “cubic subdivision” infill on the lower part which is a decision made by the slicer.

Another curious thing (if this is intended to strengthen the part) is that the spar is completely floating within the infill. So, bug or feature?

Function or easter eggs?

Yeah, you’re supposed to fill them with chocolate. They act like a heat sink. If it gets hot, the chocolate melts and takes away some of the heat.

The trick is getting the right kind of chocolate. Hershey’s melts too low, and m&ms too high.

It’s the candy coating. Or the peanut. Either throws off the thermal properties…

Toblerone is already triangular at the molecular level, so it will probably fit best. But for the true hacker, get an assortment of Ghiradelli squares and do your own experimentation.

In all seriousness, it looks like an artifact of your slicers infill pattern (cubic of some sort?) where it decided that with a large enough volume, it could create a larger void without risking structural integrity. And it’s probably right.

Ah, looking at the wrong voids… Looks like they may have been artifacts from previous bolt/nut surfaces based on their orientation and position. Ryan must have changed his mind, but didn’t quite completely fill in the solid.

I edited the original to be a little more clear. The lower spaces in the infill are a ‘feature’ of the Slicer’s ‘cubic subdivision’ infill. Apparently when the internal voids are large it uses larger cubes. The upper voids (with perimeters around it) are what I was asking about.

The ones with perimeters are the voids. The bigger hex pattern is for the chocolate.

No perimeters? Then I’d get a hammer and some Baker’s semi-sweet bars (or really, anything with > 90% cocoa, I prefer Lindt). Too much added sugar might be bad for a single-wall infill space.

Anyone who even thinks “White Chocolate” gets beaten with failed XY prints. “Carob” means you’re dead to me…

1 Like

White “chocolate” is evil.

I used to get white chocolate syrup in my coffee. Then at some point I realized it’s basically just cream and sugar.

Nah, white chocolate is just all the fat from chocolate without and of the actual chocolate. Kind of like well sweetened lard, except vegan. :slight_smile:

This forum is such a special place. So much wisdom and experience. You learn something new every day…

1 Like

Except for the fact that lard has a purpose, a meaning, a reason for existing. That other stuff is an abomination… :smiley:

Still waiting on the airspeed velocity of a coconut-laden sparrow…

Since a swallow is too small to actually carry one, then it’s airspeed would be around 50mph, taking into account of the drag on the falling coconut by the bird.

1 Like

African or Eastern European?

2 Likes

Well the sparrow in question would have a airspeed of 0 at the top and at the crash site so the average speed must be 0 ?

I noticed these voids too! I assumed it was @vicious1’s sneaky way of incorporating a watermark.

I don’t know!

bridgekeeper