Ipe for sale (quality extremely dense wood)

I met Kevin and his Dad at MRRF, His Dad was one of the first guys I talked to at the first MRRF I went to. Anyway Kevin mentioned he has a source of IPE cutoffs and I asked him if he could make them available for us. A lot of you have been asking me to carry materials for you to use, I think this is the best way to try that out.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TwoYew

The sizes available will vary, and hopefully some other shapes will start coming into his Etsy shop soon. If you have any requests or ideas for me or Kevin feel free to speak up.

I was excited about this because Ipe is so dense it machines like wood but with great tolerances. It is my favorite wood to make things with, but be careful with the dust, it is an irritant.

Some Ipe in my old videos.

1 Like

I want to like this, but the pen blanks are 1.5"x1.5"x12" for $40. That’s over $200/bdft. I don’t think ipe is really that precious, is it? It seems like way too much for raw materials. I can understand there are costs for each transaction but selling several of those blanks together for $40 seems more like it.

Just my $0.02. I am not a pen turner. Looking at exotic pen blanks definitely shows similar prices. Maybe I’m just cheap.

“But wait there’s more”

You get as much as will fit in a USPS Flat Rate Medium shipping box. In each box there will be 16-18 pieces of natural Ipe wood, ranging in size from 1.125" to 1.75" square, 11.5" to 13" long. Shipping weight approximately 19 lbs.

1 Like

That is still a lot of wood, maybe we could get some small flat rate boxes for smaller projects like my LCD caps?

Ah, OK. They should put that somewhere more prominent. I didn’t click on the “Learn more about this item”. Maybe change the name to “Box of”…

1 Like

Just to soak in my own facepalm, I thought it was for only one… And then I suggested they put several in a box… I need to stop what I’m doing and take a nap.

I did the same thing yesterday, read it again today then understood. I am sure at some point Kevin will have a look at this thread and make some changes.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Changed the title as suggested. Will create a small flat rate box version as suggested.

For the record, remember that I’m including free shipping to US.

For anyone interested in contacting me I can put together a package of sizes that will meet your needs. If you need a two foot long piece that’s six inches wide and and inch and a half thick and you’re willing to pay the extra for shipping, I can make that happen. I can also glue up a solid block of literally any size I have the secret knowledge (wink) to glue this wood properly.

I have a literal ton of the stuff and get more every month. I will most likely have what you need or will get it soon if I don’t.

Contact me via Etsy and I’ll hook you up. Thanks for the promo, Ryan!

Pic: what I picked up today from the supplier.

3 Likes

Drool…Oh man that is a nice stack of wood right there.

I just posted two new listings on Etsy for you guys. You can get a small flat rate box with one piece of Ipe that fits for just $20 with FREE shipping. Once listing goes I’ll put up another that offers this generally. The specific listing up now is for the actual pictured piece.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TwoYew

It arrived in the mail today. This thing is really dense and hard. Much darker than I thought too. Very nice material. I am looking forward to using it.

1 Like

Wood that doesn’t float…the edges are so sharp when carved, it is really nice.