Is it worth a dedicated CNC motor instead of the Makita or DeWalt?

Whatever spindle you get will be noisy. Strongly suggest investigating, investing in, and using hearing PPE.

1 Like

I second personal hearing protection. It is much easier than enclosing the machine. Mine is in my garage, which is a pretty decent enclosure.

1 Like

Just my point of view on the subject
 in one of our plants we have cnc routers that use home depot grade routers which are $$ and only last months at best. Then at our other plants we have dedicated specialty spindle motors the are $$$$$ and last 6 to 12 months at best. Honestly, looking at the quality of cuts on both, provided you keep sharp bits in them, go with whatever your budget can afford. These machines push out thousands of pieces each a shift. Aluminum and vinyl

1 Like

If you get a retail router spend the extra $10 and get the extended warranty. With the hours of cutting they are exposed to it’s money well spent.

I’ve already serviced my dewalt and I fully expect that my cheap HF backup won’t make a full year without needing brushes.

2 Likes

I have the issue with my vacuum being too loud as well. To make matters worse for my neighbors I often keep the vacuum outside my garage while cutting (keeps the fine bypass dust out of my garage, and less heat build up during summer). So I have been looking at vacuum motors that are quieter, but have come up short. I have a big blower for a large bouncy house I could use, but was hoping for less overkill.

To the op
 I also nominate hearing protection. If you are trying to do 24/7 production and worried about neighbors, I would reconsider operating at home. Most full time Cnc operators invest in an industrial space to operate. These days in America, such spaces are cheap rent.

Buy two. Put one on the shelf. Your main one dies, swap them within minutes and be back up and running. Then buy another spare if you can’t fix the original one. The loss of production is normally more costly than the cost of a spare.

It’s really funny. At work, I will spend $$$ to save an hour or two of engineering time (especially if it is annoying). But at home, I will spend 10 hours to save $50. Company money is monopoly money sometimes.

4 Likes

Don’t sell yourself short. You’ll spend 10 hours in order to spend $50.

It’s true, the exchange rate between money and time is very different at work compared to chores for example. But spending a bit of money and a lot of time in exchange for joy goes far beyond a difference in rate.

7 Likes

Keep in mind if you get paid what most engineers I know get paid it would take a lot of $$$ to make up for a couple hours of time
 I did custom programing for a while and the company would charge $200 an hour for my services(literally, if I told them it would take 3 hours to make the program they would charge the customer $600). At home I value my time at about $20 an hour, $40 if it’s somtjing I love to do, and $10 if it’s somthing that annoys me XD

Isn’t that weird? That’s the phenomenon I was talking about. Company money feels like monopoly money.

It’s not completely ridiculous. I enjoy my time on my hobbies. I also don’t have a lot of the overhead I do at work. I don’t have the same profit margin either :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Very true.

Odd indeed! But if I could get someone to pay me $200 an hour on my off time I would be building a lowrider and a zenxy XD

1 Like

For me, if I’m doing things that I find interesting, I’ll spend time. Otherwise, not so much.

My attitude doesn’t change much at work either. I’ll spend time on an interesting project and save the company’s monopoly money, but if it’s annoying, or even just boring, break out the cheque book.

Well, at home, I’ll probably save the money, or do without. That’s why my home network is cobbled together in a way I’d never allow at work. My system servers are hacked together old stuff that was too old, too unreliable or too slow for work, but generally fine if used within its capabilities, or if it can be monitored while in use by someone (me) who is able to fix it when it goes wrong.

3 Likes

Hay dos “ruidos” a eliminar, el de la propia máquina en vacío, y cuando está cortando.
Mi enfoque para el futuro es fabricar una mini caja específica para la fresadora, soluciona la entrada de polvo a la måquina y reducirå bastante el ruido. Pero tendrås que enfriar la måquina. Por ejemplo podrías enfriarla con una célula peltier y soplado de aire. Si elige la relación adecuada, de camino harå mås eficiente la eliminación del polvo que vayas creando y podrås bajar la potencia del aspirador, otra de las fuentes de ruido.

Espero te de ideas este enfoque.

–
Traduzco “vĂ­a Google”, no domino el idioma inglĂ©s.

There are two “noises” to eliminate, that of the machine itself when empty, and when it is cutting.
My focus for the future is to make a specific mini box for the milling machine, it solves the dust entering the machine and it will reduce the noise quite a bit. But you will have to cool down the machine. For example you could cool it with a peltier cell and air blowing. If you choose the right ratio, on the way you will be more efficient in removing the dust you create and you can lower the power of the vacuum cleaner, another source of noise.

I hope this approach gives you ideas.

I translate “via Google”, I am not fluent in the English language.