Is the 48" belt included with the kit OD or Work Area?

Sorry but I saw the belt in the kit was big enough for 48" total between x and y axis and wanted to know if that was big enough for a 12x36" work area. I assume so but on the off hand chance he was talking about outer diameter of the whole machine I wanted to check. I’m still nailing down my build size and right now and 12x36" or 24x24" work area look like they could be winners. I would be using the 25mm steel tubing with mid span supports and as short a z axis as I could get away with.

Secondary questions:

Is 2.5" doable for a z axis? Or is 2.87 really the minimum?

Which is stiffer? 12x36 or 24x24 work area? Both would have mid span supports.

Which is more useful? 12x36 or 24x24? I feel like with 12x36 you could build shelves, furniture, etc. I’m strongly leaning towards that.

I’m kind of at the same planning stage. The cut calculator includes a belt length calculation. I’ve been comparing that total to the 13ft length stated for the kit.

A question for Ryan would be if you buy the extra belt offered in the shop, can that be extra length onto the kit piece or is it only a separate piece.

I’m looking at up to a 15x30" work area (for pretty much the same reasons). I think I can get that out of the 20’ SS tubing minimum buy. I have not figured out all the cabling extensions that would be needed. Not sure how much more than the standard 13.6" work dimension the cables will reach.

It’s what you think.

48" of total x+y
the kit includes enough for 12x36 or 24x24 or 10x38 or 11x39 etc

2.87 is the minimum

Those are external dimensions, not work area dimensions right?

Correct.

“GT2 Belt enough for any combination of 48” of X and Y axis length, if you would like a larger machine please see this for how much extra belt and rail you will need. If you need more add it to the cart at the same time and it will be combined."

Yes, your belt will be one or two equal pieces, Either works exactly the same for an MPCNC.

OK so if I order the kit which has 13’ belt and an extra belt part (6.5’) I will get either one belt at 19.5’ or 2 belts at 9.75’ each. I will not get a 13’ belt and a 6.5’ belt. Is that correct?

Thanks

Yes. It says it in the belt portion of the kit page.

Thanks again, I wasn’t sure whether combined just meant shipping or combined length. I understand it now.

When determining my build area, I left some “slack” around the edges for alignment and work holding. Since I want to be able to cut a 20" x 30" sheet of foam board I set the working area to 21"x31". I figured I wouldn’t mind the extra inch of lost rigidity as much as I’d resent not being able to work to the edge of my planned materials.