Issue with setting up Auduino Mega/Ramps - steppers vibrating only

Ok - story time…

Bought a ‘used’ Burly MPCNC from a local guy (Iowa). It was too big for my use, and I wanted to update to the Primo, so did all that. It came with a Arduino Mega and Ramps shield, along with the subshield and screen. He said he had drawn the crown and then lost interest. Screen didn’t display anything on power up, so decided to reflash Marlin. I wasn’t able to make the latest version on the site work (several complie errors), so got the previous version from github (v511 2.0.9.2). I get the V1 logo on the screen, and everything looks good. As I have the Ramps board I want to power my X and Y steppers separately, so that’s the way I hooked it up. No extensions for now - just trying to get it running. I do not have end stops connected now, but downloaded the dual version. Do I need functional endstops to power up? From what I understand the endstops are only functional for homing, which I have not yet attempted.

So now for my problem. When trying to jog the steppers via the screen they ‘vibrate’ and don’t turn. I can’t even tell what direction they are trying to turn. Vref all set at .75 volts. I’m really at a loss as what to try next. Any ideas? I’ve also tried Estlcam, but didn’t realize that would reflash my Arduino, until it did. Of course then the screen doesn’t work. So reflashed the above version and back to just vibrating steppers. Any help would be much appreciated.

So for my arduino, I was able to use the latest download from here. I am using arduino/ramps 8825’s. There is a version already compiled that can be flashed directly to the arduino. (Many smart people in here making things VERY simple) What is the subshield you are talking about though?
https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/ramps/
Download firmware
https://github.com/V1EngineeringInc/MarlinBuilder/releases/download/513/V1CNC_Ramps-2.0.9.2.zip

In that zip file will be a firmware.hex file. That can be transferred to your Arduino.

You can use XLoader to flash your arduino:
https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/xloader/

Thanks! Where is the version I can compile? I tried the V1CNC_Ramps_Dual 2.0.9.2/513 and get lots of errors, which is why I went back to 511 on github, which compiled great and flashed the first try.

Subshield is just the little shield that the screen plugs in to.

Ok - will give that a try. I was using the Arduino loader.

so I just edited my post above on how to use xloader. Also look at the ramps documentation and make sure you steppers have the voltage set correctly. Do you know which drivers you have.

No. Endstops are only used during homing, and primarily for squaring the machine. Some users with dual endstop firmware never install endstops. You can get reasonable squareness by pushing the axes against physical stops.

So reflashed the above version and back to just vibrating steppers.

Is it possible the steppers are fighting each other? If so, just reverse any plug. Does the firmware match the stepper drivers you have installed on your board? The V1 version is setup for DRV8825 drivers. Does Z work or are all the steppers vibrating?

All great points. Maybe try running without the belts to see if they are fighting.

How is it set up? Is it using 2 drivers for x and y or just one? It is possible the series wiring is wrong if only one stepper. Sorry forgot about that point.

Ya should have said that - I have taken the belts off for now. Steppers just vibrate still. I’m using the Dual (not LR) Ramps program, and am wired that way. Using the purple stepper drivers. Am trying the direct flash now - any direction on baud rate? Tried 115200, but it fails. Default of 52k tried for an hour, finally had to reboot computer as it just said ‘installing’ and never finished, wouldn’t close

Is it possible the steppers are wired cross phase? The motor leads should measure out to some small ohms across a1-a2 and across b1-b2. If you get open loop instead, they are wired wrong.

1 Like
  1. Does the jitter happen with all axes including Z?
  2. Have you verified that your stepper drivers match the firmware?
  3. Verify that the stepper wiring matches the stepper driver wiring (see Kev’s answer that just came in).

An alternative way of figuring out what wires go to what coil is to short a pair of wires (unplugged from the control board) and then spin the shaft of the stepper driver. If there is increased resistance when spinning, then the two shorted wires go to the same coil. Once you have figured out what pairs go to what coils, you can use a diagram like this one to verify that you are not cross wiring your stepper.

As for baud rate, the board flashes at 115200, but for communication with Marlin, you need 250,000.

1. Yes, all 5 axis jitter (when sitting in the open air - no belt/tension/etc.

2. Not sure what you mean by stepper drivers - My understanding is I should load the latest (or nearly latest) version of Marlin from the github link, and with a good ramps board it will work.

3. This may be it. 1-2 measures open, 3-4 measures open. 1-3 measures about 3 ohms, 2-4 measures about 3 ohms. I’m using standard stepper wires - black-green-red-blue. Does someone have a good stepper wiring diagram? These cables don’t look to be rewired. I’m using 17HS15-1704 steppers, and what I would assume is the wires that came with them. I think he built this with parts from Amazon.

Scott,

Plugged into the Ramps board are the “stepper drivers”, little PCBs with a bunch of pins. These plug into headers on the Ramps board. There are many different driver boards available on the market and they are not all compatible with each other.

These are the ones that the firmware is set up to use DRV8825

You should be able to read that number on the chip that’s soldered to the driver board. Even if it looks the same it may not use the same chip.

If it reads another number you will need to get the correct one ($16 in the link above) or modify the Marlin code to use the ones you have.

Mike

OK you are my hero lol. For some reason I had to switch two wires in the standard stepper cables. I just did Z to try and it works like a champ. Onward! Is it bad to admit I lost sleep over this last night???

3 Likes

Excellent!

Thanks so much everyone! All axis (Dual X, Dual Y, and Z) move perfectly! Now on to drawing, then foamboard cutting.