Issues with big circles being created in Estlcam

Continuing the discussion from Estlcam - problem - errant big circles:

i am hoping that somebody has figured this issue out? The last comment in this post was that it will mill correctly, but these large circles are adding a ton of time to my projects. any help would be very much appreciated.

Are you sure? Are you using repetier host to preview the gcode and compute a time estimate? RH has a bug in new versions that cause it to travel the wrong direction on arcs.

Preview the gcode in ncviewer or cncjs to see if they are actually those big circles. Or just trust the preview in estlcam.

Have you tried making an ‘air’ run? I think you might find that that the time/circle size are closer to what you’d expect rather than what it’s telling you.

I have not tried to run it, because it is showing that the circles are pretty far off of the build area. but, yes the crown is estimating 30 min, and the test file only took 2 min. I am fine with giving it a shot, but I don’t know what the long-term fix will be.
and btw, I am a complete noob. I was 100% sure this was user error until I found the previous post. so, please speak slow, using small words. lol

so Estlcam is showing those circles? I just read both posts. I think everyone is correct, there is has been a known issue with Repetier not previewing correctly. You do not say where you see the circles.

I do not use that. I started to use hosting, but I went back to simple and use the sd card only.
Estlcam > Sd Card, and voilla, my project (well usually, unless i did something silly :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Turn off arcs in EstlCAM (or whatever CAM you are using), OR downgrade Repetier-Host to a previous version that does not have the problem, OR just disregard the display and the milling time. I strongly believe this to be a visual-only problem in Repetier-Host that is not reflected in your actual cutting. I know if you drop your g-code file that is having this problem in a g-code simulator like this one, it will display the path correctly (as authored in your CAM).

1 Like

Im sorry, i will try ro be more clear. I am only seeing the circles in repetier host. And the time has increased significantly for the crown from the test crown file to my saved crown file from Estlcam.

I dropped it in a gcode simulator last night and the projected time remained the same, but you are right, there were no circles. I will give these ideas a shot

1 Like

IIRC Ryan’s test crown gcode is 12mm/s (720mm/min) If you chose a different speed, of course that will also have a large effect on the completion time. It will also have a large effect if you changed the overall size of the drawing. I recall that importing the drawing the size was quite a bit different from what I remember Ryan’s code to have drawn.

I think everybody here was right. My speed was right, but I never even thought of that. I turned off Archs in Estlcam and the time to print in Repetier Host reduced a bit and the circles were gone. However, I did just trust that it was going to work as you all said and that it did; my test run stayed on track and nothing broke.

I am still finishing up some last-minute items on my build but hope to post some pics of my (mostly) resin-printed lowrider in action very soon.

Aaaah, I’ve run into this issue - AGAIN. I’ve met it several times before, and always figured it out, but now I’m stuck. Viewing the nc-file in nc viewer also shows the big circles. I disabled arc, imported as dxf, slowed down the speed, enabled and disabled arcs again - and no luck. Perhaps @christian-knuell has an idea?

That is strange. Previously, the issue was only in the display/preview of repetier host. It was drawing G2 and G3 arca going the wrong way (clockwise vs anticlockwise). The solution was to go to an earlier version of RH or just ignore them (because Marlin did them correctly).

But seeing them in ncviewer is new. AFAIK.

I would start a new topic though. I doubt Christian will read through all of this and I am pretty sure it is a new issue. Post the version of Estlcam you’re using. I would also post a simple dxf and gcode that illustrates the issue.

1 Like