It has been a year, beyond the 525...

Next machine on my list is a hardware counting machine, then a automatic bagger for it. Have some sensors on order…I want to expand the Micro-manufacturing ecosphere…

@vicious one: I like to machine quickly, because I cannot afford to be too noisy for too long (I have neighbors). That’s why having a powerful router motor is important, because I can crank up the speed quite a lot.
I made several tests with different routers and power clearly matters, especially when I’m attacking plywood which is a pretty inconsistent material, with great variations in strenght.

Again, in my case I really have no problem at all, because I use special tubing who almost doesn’t flex. But I hear that apparently most of you guys are concerned about tubes bending, and that most of you cannot find the kind of tubes I use at affordable prices. So doubling the tubes would be better than nothing and would still work for everyone.

Using a tube with a greater section for the two middle axis is also a good option, probably the most elegant, but it will reduce a bit the workable area and it will need some serious design mods. Using two tubes seems much easier to me.
I think I’ll try to design it when I’ll have some time later, to see if this could work.

Of course making the whole thing smaller is a solution, but this only works if you don’t plan to 3D print big things. The lowrider is great, but it is an only CNC milling machine, the MPCNC remains more versatile in this way, that’s why it still has my preference and that’s why I think having the ability to make it big still makes sense.

The only cnc I’ve used is a shopbot, and I’m pretty sure that machine can cut anything you throw at it. But it’s also like 14 grand. I can’t answer your question now. But I will be able to fairly soon. Maybe by the end of summer. I still have to get my garage in order for both machines.

I think the main thing that draws me to the x carve is actually their forums and the projects you see created there. As it answers the question of “what can I do with this”. And rigidity is actually the last thing on my mind. But if you look over their forum you’ll find a pretty big modding community there that are after rigidity and have made some pretty solid machines from the bones they where given. Plus I think the easel app is a pretty big draw to the whole package as it simple to understand and can have you cutting pretty quickly. While it does cost about 1600+shipping (300) in it’s normal package, I’ve gotten the machine down to 1000 with tossing the extras and making the waste board which really drives the shipping cost up.

The big draw for me to your machine is it’s looks. I like the way it looks. I have no real clue what to expect as far as performance. But it seems like a fun project that ultimately I feel I’ll be more proud to show off over the xcarve. And if It’s anything like your printer than I’m sure I’ll be pleasantly surprised by it’s performance.

One thing I would suggest is setting up a project page, similar to what they have, and show people what can be made. That really why we buy or build these things to begin with.

Thanks for that. I would expect the xcarve and it’s large box tubing to be very rigid. I honestly have not spent too much time looking at the design but those rails should be pretty skookum.

A gallery of cuts and uses previous projects is a great idea, I just need to figure out the best way to go about it.

Well I had to double check I have them all mixed up the shapeoko has the box tubes, with a standard build of 16x16x3 and is partially assembled! Wow they have made some changes.

The xcarve med is 20x20x2.5ish using 20x40. You are right the projects tab is pretty sweet.

I thought the next machine was a mostly printed espresso machine!

Pfffft, I have a nasty caffeine habit right now. Pretty much coffee, breakfast, emails, more coffee, shiping, coffee, repeat. No MPJava from me, gotta cut back.

I agree with what mmmfishtacos said, the community is very important, and, IMHO, it lacks a bit about the MPCNC.
Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of interesting users, with interesting experiences and knowledge to share, but the forum is a bit too calm, there is not much activity.

I’ve already said that, but some useful features are missing in the forum, and that makes regularly participation difficult:
-cannot host the pictures on the forum while having them displayed inside a post
-Cannot add as many pictures as we want in a post
-cannot edit a post whenever we want
-cannot add a youtube video directly inside a post

I try to put as many pics as I can whenever I post, because pictures worth a thousand words, and because that is the best way to gain interest from new users to join the community. But each time I write anything here, it takes me a considerable amount of time. I have to resize the pics, host them on a separate website, etc. On most other forums I use, I can just integrate the pic in my text without much operations. I cannot possibly be the only one having this concern, many people here are hosting their pics on other platforms and share access links to them, wouldn’t it be better to see them directly?

Same thing about the time limit to edit posts, which doesn’t allow to edit the first post of a thread so that everyone can find the information without having to browse between all the pages. It’s a standard on most forums.

When I first saw the MPCNC, I wasn’t convinced at all it would work. Seemed too weak and wobbly for me. I had a hard time to find actual results of things beiing made with it, since there were not many pictures. By chance, there were a few videos on youtube and that’s what convinced me to give it a try, otherwise I would have passed. My point being: people need to see that this stuff is working, they need pictures and videos, and this would be nice if it was easier to share them here.

Anyway, I’m a bit off topic maybe, but it would be nice if those things were taken into consideration.

1 Like

Okay, site updates instead of hardware updates, no problem.

Dui, working on your suggestions .

Inline images- so far only a paid upgrade but I will do it if I can not find another solution.

number of pics- It was 4, I upped it to 8. There gets to be an issue where it gets flagged as spam and the compression slows things down too much and you get a timeout. I suggest grabbing a few post in a row if you are doing something that might take more than 8 pictures, Like is done in XDA developers.

Size limit- I have increased the file size limit as well, the compression should work, still worried about server timeouts if it takes to long. This was leftover paranoia from us crashing servers constantly. The new host and semi dedicated server should help with the CPU cycles to accomplish this. Sorry things had to get limited to stop the site from crashing so often and never got increased as the server quality did. We also use 5gigs and climbing fast.

Editing, I upped it to a few years-I have found in the past if someone gets pissed they delete all their posts and we are left without the info, but we can try it again.

Youtube in the post should work now, this was disabled because it was overlapping the next post. If it isn’t fixed I am doing everything in my power to fix it.

showing the capabilities-I will try and do some sort of user gallery, I hope no one gets too offended if I do not use their work, maybe just my own things. On that same note I will try and put up a picture or video once a week or so. Maybe it’s time to hire some help so I can.

overlapping links (barry), I have reopened my ticket and hopefully we can get this sorted out.

Swapping forum backend is an option but that would mean a different login and possibly a messy transition. Last resort.

2 Likes

Sweet work! You’ve been busy today.

I ran into an issue on my post where I tried to link to an image. My image is only hosted via http and this site insists on linking as https. It shows up as an empty box (or broken link). Anything you can do about that one?

You can see what I mean in the ‘new build from texas’ thread I started.

I see the picture link in that thread, but it is on a https, but I can not get it to load in a separate window.

[attachment file=31426]

inline test

alltedsm.png

Okay, other things added with the paid update.

Thanks button and tracking.

Inline attachments.

More bbcodes.

Bill’s last forum request I couldn’t do before, user tracking, So I think it will know show when a thread has unread replies by you.

I have the ability for signatures now, can I get a vote on this one, good or bad, yay or nay.

Easier reply quoting, I guess I will give up on nested replies, although I like them better.

Post flagging, for those spamming punks…

Anything else you want, It might be available now?

Thanks for the patience.

6 Likes

If I edit the post, it shows it’s http in the img src:

img src="http://cadcdn.wallings.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/0401171430_HDR-e1491147193390-768x1365.jpg" alt="Pipes"

but when I click save and the page loads, the src code on the page is forcing https for some reason.

How would you get pissed enough to delete all your posts? That is someone with too much time on their hands. I promise if I get pissed at you guys, I’ll just post one FU and be done with it.

I like these new changes. Since it’s basically coming out of your pocket, I hope it’s going to pay off.

My nit pick, the portrait editing on my phone is always one column short. See attached pic, and don’t judge my notifications. Friday is a busy day for YouTube.

Interesting. I can attach the image, then get the link, and then embed it. If this works. More server space for you, Ryan.

Yeah the phone thing kills me, it’s next after the overlap.

we had a guy early on delete everything and all his thingiverse parts as well. Then of course there are people that will edit their posts way after the fact and then the thread doesn’t make sense. I understand the first post edit but the only way to do that is to allow all editing, at least as far as I can tell.

I could also move people up to “author” that want there own pages/posts instead of a forum thread and that is much easier to maintain for everyone. I have offered it to a few and they didn’t want to so I left it alone.

(((was it cAm3r0)))? :slight_smile:

He was the most known one.

I missed all that. I could tell something was there though. You seemed to respect his design a lot though. Anyway, enough about that.

If you see the setting, can you let .Gcode files be attached? They are less dangerous and more convenient than .Zip files.

I tried I can allow other mime types but I have been packing orders all day and not been able to look into it further. .gcode and .nc should be safe I would guess but I need to look into it.

Packing orders comes first… well… packing MY order anyway… :slight_smile: