This is my first dive into the world of CNC milling. Super happy with the MPCNC so far, but still lots of things to learn and tweak.
I currently have a working area of 600x600mm. I’m thinking about shortening the y axis to something like 450mm though. This is also the reason why I haven’t cut the MDF base to size yet. I’m still undecided on final dimensions.
I use M8 t-track slots to clamp down my stock. I’m going to add a couple more tracks so I can more easily reach smaller stock with the clamps.
I mounted my router directly to the z-axis tubes, without using the tool mount.
This allowed me to push it a little closer to the gantry.
To be honest, the difference in distance is so low that I wouldn’t do it again. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I doubt there’s any benefit.
First cuts in plywood!
I had to stop the first cut (on the left) due to chatter and the y axis drifting. After further inspection I noticed that I had forgotten to tighten down some of the bolts on the underside of the gantry…
The second cut worked much better!
There was some tear out, presumably because I was using an 8mm router bit. Unfortunately that’s the smallest router bit I own. 1/8’’ end mills are still on the way.
Auto squaring rocks! 90° right off the bat.
X and Y axis steps/mm need some minor tweaking, but this a superb starting point.
The brains. I’m using a Duet 2 Wifi board. I love how you can reconfigure everything without the need of recompiling / uploading firmware. Everything is configured through gcode.
Some minor issues I ran into during my build:
- Using thick zip ties to mount the belts is a bad idea. They will never stretch out completely under load. Because of this they flex quite a bit during axis movement. Normal zip ties work much better. I ended up going with printed belt tensioners.
- Forgetting to tighten down some of the bolts after assembly…
- I can’t get 2 of the bearings on the XYZ parts to press against the z-axis tubes properly. I will make a post about this in Troubleshooting after I’ve verified that all bolts are reasonably tightened.
Since I already owned the duet and the makita router, this was a very inexpensive build. This is such an awesome yet cheap design.