Jeffeb3's Neje Laser

I had a 6 hour burn in maple when I only had the 2.5w diode.

1 Like

How did you like FluidNC?

1 Like

It was really pretty nice. And it fixed my laser issue. The user experience is pretty similar though.

2 Likes

I still have the new Bart board for my laser so I can add the z axis. I’m thinking I’ll switch out to FluidNC on it too.

Hey Jeff. Have you made a mount for the LR3 and your laser yet?

The one I made works with the DeWalt mount. I just had to clip the fan mounts, they were interfering.

It just barely clears the bottom.

6 Likes

If you have the Makita, here is mount I designed for my Primo that may work on the LR3 since the laser mounts inside a 65mm tube.

65mmLaserMount.zip (454.8 KB)

I spent a few minutes sanding down the layer lines to get a smooth fit for my machine.

2 Likes

The bottom of the neje needs to be all the way down at the bottom. That’s the only thing. I think Dan used the Makita version. I can’t remember if he got it all the way down or not.

Is there any reason it can’t go in the vac port there? Maybe not high enough for support?

That is a possibility. I wanted to still use the vac with the laser though, just for extra smoke removal.

Ah. Make sense… or even an easy mod space for air assist if possible…
This is so cool as I get ready to build the LR3.

I do want to make a pen mount for the DC port.

I use it for pen plotting quite often. I like to draw the sandify patterns on it.

3 Likes

Yeah I keep thinking about a pen mount. Your idea for using the vac port is Rad! I did that for the instructions but it never occurred to me to have that as the holder. Let me see if I can add a double wishbone there. If not, maybe a pen/knife/laser mount combo.

2 Likes

The Makita version is just a little too tall, and I can’t get the Neje to focus below the core bottom, so I had to remix the DC piece to have a removeable plate. I did get it working after that with the removeable bottom though. There must be some difference with the LR3 DC between the two versions, or else my laser just doesn’t have a long enough focal length lens.

1 Like

Jeff, would you be willing to share your design?

Sure.

I had to cut off two of the fan mount holes (I literally cut them with snips) to fit in the LR Core.

I should probably cut them out in the cad.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Insane specs

My newer E40 can’t even cut 1/8” ply at that soeed. I need 3 passes at 3mm/s, 100%, air assist 30psi

I’m starting to think mine is a dud

Neje E40 should cut at least the same as A40640 if not better.
For 3mm/ 1/8" at 100% i use speed between 200mm/min and 240mm/min in one pass depending of my plywood (amount of hole filled by glue). When i need to lower more the speed it means i need to clean my lens, then laser works again like a charme.

Good focus also have high importance but it shouldn’t be an issue here as E40 have fixed focus so no “calculation” to do to set the best height.
If you still have problems to cut, it might worse to make some focus tests and maybe manually fine tune the lens focus by tightening or loosening the lens screw.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, it’s looking like it isn’t performing correctly.

It has a fixed lens- there is no adjustment, but I can try a focus ramp to see if it’s slightly off the 5mm focal length.

I bought high quality laser ply from a good source- not box store junk as I didn’t want to short-change it

Couple more try outs and I’m going to try a replacement, but I’ve been hearing bad things about NEJE customer service