Jeffeb3's ZenXY Desk

Infinity mirrors under the desk… a millionZenXY working in unison!

2 Likes

Getting really close now.

3 Likes

This could be your next project jeff!

2 Likes

How much is shipping to Golden, CO?

We could have dueling sandjos.

That’s a ride from NJ…

The project is mostly complete. Just take the grid out. Glass is ready.
It Would be a cool setup. Zen dinner party.

One control with 2 machines.
But YOU would probably want them Mirrored , because you could !:exploding_head:

So, here is a huge update. This thing is “done”. I have been holding back showing off the whole thing, but now I have it all cleaned up and it is drawing up a storm.

View from close up:

I freakin’ love it. This really feels like the home of sandify now (To be clear, there are other contributors, namely Bob, who does a ton of the work). I do all my development on my desk, to the left, and I can make a file and send it to the machine is seconds. It is so quiet I can work on it after the kids go to bed (they are behind the far wall). But mostly, it looks clean and professional and I love it.

The counter is very nice for this spot. I had a 7’ folding table there before, with boxes below. This is much more solid, and at a nice standing height (It is at a kitchen counter height). I have tons of storage and I have already moved a lot of stuff I will use up here into it’s home in these drawers and have a bunch more space.

The kids love it. My 3yo will just fit on the left side and she has stayed there for entire patterns watching it. My 6yo likes to sit underneath. I do too. I have been under there working on it, or checking it out, and I just pause watching it. Pretty neat.

Video from the bottom (sound removed, the 6yo is doing school in here):

Thanks Ryan. Thank you V1 Forums. Thanks to @SupraGuy for testing it too. Thank you @bobnik for the huge contributions to sandify.

29 Likes

Man that’s pretty. :star_struck:

The view from underneath just got me wondering if it would be possible to backlight the whole sand box.

1 Like

You mean lights under the sand in the whole area?

Well, a flood light underneath would be possible. You would see the machine’s shadow. Or I could stick some LEDs to the machine head (but it currently has no wires and that is so nice). But I will have to try shining a light underneath to see what it looks like. The harsh light, at an extreme angle makes the peaks and valleys have really strong contrast. But I think any new light option is a good light option :slight_smile:

Yes exactly. I had realized the same concerns as soon as I hit send, but then I thought maybe a piece of sand-blasted edge-lit acrylic for the base. That way the light comes from the edges, reflected through the acrylic, so no shadows? Kinda like those etched acrylic stand-up signs.

1 Like

Be still my beating heart!!!

1 Like

Great job! Watching ‘how they make the sausage’ from underneath is fascinating.

1 Like

Ok. This is actually pretty neat.

It doesn’t get through to the peaks, so they stay green/blue. The valleys then become white and I like the look of the gantry’s shadow. If this were completely encased table, it would be a neat way to see what is going on.

8 Likes

Nice! That gives it a sort of solarized, gasoline in water, look to it. So now a diffused 60x60 neopixel array?

I like the border. I wasn’t sure that I would, but it looks good!

I couldn’t think of a backlit method that I’d like. I have taken apart monitors, one uses mylar backing on acrylic, and is lit around the edges with LED strips. I think that the mylar would still be ok with the magnet, but the acrylic was pretty thick for that application. I don’t know if 3mm acrylic would stand up to the weight without bowing, and I wouldn’t really want to use much thicker as a base.

1 Like

It’s beautiful. Well done, sir!

3 Likes

Backlit, finished perlin noise pattern, and no side lighting.

This pattern has a lot of travel from one spot, and along the edges. It really wore down tracks in the baking soda there.

14 Likes

A little off topic but what ever happened to the sand table you were supposed to receive?

It is here. In the living room.

Did I miss the reveal?

1 Like