July 28, 2021 - I will probably be busy for a couple days

Just a little heads up. Tomorrow, 7/28/21, I will be helping a friend that is having a surgery. Not really sure what sort of timeline there is. So if you do not hear from me for a couple of days I am probably just busy fetching ice cream and fluffing pillows.

Thanks in advance for the understanding!!

16 Likes

Good luck to your friend and hopes for speedy recovery.

2 Likes

Thank you! The surgery went well. New disk is in place. I am done clenching the cheeks and freaking out. Waiting for the anesthesia to wear off to go say “Hi, welcome back”!

Dam that was stressful.

5 Likes

I had a friend go in for a heart valve replacement on Monday… He was up and playing pool again yesterday!

2 Likes

Some people are just awesome like that. I am sure I would be a couch potato for a while.

My friend is doing well. We have made it past the first 24 hours so it is getting a bit easier. Food and meds are going well. We were told today is probably the worst of it, possibly carrying over a bit tomorrow, then the mending should be noticeably steady. By the two week mark things should be fairly normal.

5 Likes

His doctor told him he wasn’t supposed to lift more than 5 pounds… Luckily his pool cue is only like 19 ounces. :slight_smile: He was back in playing today and stayed for at least two hours.

1 Like

I can’t stay still like that. Doctors hate me when they hear what I’ve done after procedures.

Once day it’ll probably screw me over.

1 Like

Haha after a 3 level spinal fusion in 05 my roommate and his brothers brought me home. They left me at the car to clear a path through the garage and get my bed ready, I managed to get on my KTM 450 and took off down the street to make a lap around the block in my hospital gown with my ass in the wind. They were so mad by the time I got back they weren’t going to help me any more! They took good care of me after it settled down.:joy:

2 Likes

Yikes, the surgeon said fusions are pretty rough. That is crazy to think how good the meds are that you felt good enough to do that.

Today seems to be the first day with noticeable improvement. We went for two longer walks already. Up from one really short one every couple days. The last week had been a new bummer of a surprise every day.

Well hope no news is good news. It is wonderful to have friends as dedicated as you :heart:.

1 Like

Thanks for checking in. Almost to the 5 week point and all is back to about 80% of normal. Amazing right!? Kinda odd though, it is a tough spot the patient feels good enough to do anything but pays for it later. So now I am the nag that is always politely barking orders “don’t lift that, stop reaching, I’ll pick it up, just go sit down for a while.”

3 Likes

My wife has had 2 total hip replacements, so I’ve been down that road a couple of times now. Recently my mom fell and ended up with a partial replacement (they did the ball but not the socket). I had to sit her down and tell her in no uncertain terms that it was way better to take things easier that you felt you needed to rather than have to work your way back after another fall or other setback, so if she had any thought she might need help she should ask. Her recovery has been uneventful so far, and she’s relied on her PT and OT folks to know how to push hard enough to build capability but no so hard as to risk re-injury.

I hope your friend is getting, and can hear and heed similar advice. Sounds as though they’re doing well so far. Best of luck to them, and to you.

1 Like

Yeah, The Dr. reinforced the slow-down and things are smooth now.

3 Likes