Just screwing around.

Had to try milling aluminum, go big or go home!

Trochoidal milling with a 1/8" end mill at about 200mm per minute. DeWalt 660 is running at 100% speed, whatever the hell that is…

Google Photos

Looks like it went smooth. I really need to try that trochidal (sp?) milling. He also just added adaptive clearing that should be awesome for wood to keep a constant load on the bit and might actually work better in metal as well trichoidal cutout and adaptive pocketing!. He updates so often I am falling behind trying things out.

Google Photos

Top surfaced off. The aluminum chunk used to be a couple hard drive bodies and platters, plus a stock Intel processor heat sync. I melted them down in my propane forge then poured it into a stainless steel dog bowl.

Fixed the lights in my shop! Milling out an Imperial logo on my aluminum block.

Google Photos
Google Photos

Oh!! Forgot, it’s doing adaptive cutting for the pockets. I felt the center after it started doing the outer parts, and it’s like glass!

15 hours later! ?

Google Photos
Google Photos

That’s impressive! How big is your build again? IIRC you had an oversized build? If so that would make it all the more impressive.

It’s a little big…
Google Photos

Nice! Is that SS tubes or EMT conduit?

EMT.

Barry, is that a 4x4 layout? (And yes, I’m printing the parts for one right now. laughs)

g.

Hey Gene, yep, it’s actually about 5’ square, but you lose some in the mount and dust collection. I thought you have a full sized cnc already?

I bought myself a plasma cutter a couple of weeks ago and it’s just begging to be cnc-ified. :slight_smile: There’s no way I’d hang that thing on my ShopBot. :smiley:

I’m also going to use it for small jobs - a 4x8 ShopBot with a 2.2hp spindle is a bit overkill for a 1/8" v-carving bit. :slight_smile:

g.

I’m also going to use it for small jobs – a 4×8 ShopBot with a 2.2hp spindle is a bit overkill for a 1/8″ v-carving bit. ?

Just means you can go faster!