KC's Build

I feel ya bro (upload://4JvJsNbzV0Fz1K9ymZcoFJ9rqtu.jpeg)

2 Likes

So, now that my MP3DP is tested and fully up and running it was time to upgrade my delta from classic ramps (2016) to a SKR1.4 board.

What a HUGE difference between the A4988 drivers and the TMC2209 drivers. With the old drivers you can hear the printer through the whole house and now is is whisper quiet :slight_smile: Finaly (after 4 years) I can print overnight.

4 Likes

OK, my minime and I just flashed her board and tested the steppers, all went well! Now she is shortening the steppercables and crimping the right connectors for the SKR.

BTW: I did the high voltage side :wink:

5 Likes

Coming weekend it’s calibrationtime!

6 Likes

This is amazing! An inspiration for future quality time with my kids. For now it’s mostly Lego. I had the kids play with solenoids the other day. They found it funny, but not as much as dad did :smile:

2 Likes

So, how old are your kids… My son is 21 and (still) plays with Lego :wink: He just finished his Christmaspresent :gift:

6 Likes

They are soon 4, and 6. When I come to think of it, my six year old knows how to write gcodes for moving the gantry, and knows the difference between x and y. I think that’s more than ordinary knowledge for six year olds… Let’s just hope he continues to show interest! ATM he doesn’t keep his focus for long, after having written a few commands, he goes on to play with the tools, banging them against random stuff. I guess I can’t expect a 6 year old to keep a steady focus for very long, can I?

I think we are never too old for LEGO. I love assembling sets with my son, it’s a super quality time. Personally, I would’ve loved a Star Destoryer, Millenium Falcon or one of the large technics-sets. But they are super pricey, I always end up buying tools and electronics for myself…

3 Likes

Is as expencive as the complete set above (Routemaster + lightingset) :wink: 6 years and g-code just keep him interested in technique :+1:

1 Like

Hi Kees,
Nice work and nice to see that your daughter is interested in the technique.
Could you please suggest me the link for the SKR v2 box?
I started making a MP3Dp for my 8 year old grandson, it will take me me some time, but I will probably complete the job before he will be 9th.
Thanks
B.R.
Paolo

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words!
SKR 1.4 case: SKR 1.3 / SKR 1.4 - P3STEEL OrballoPrinting BOX by Guigui3D - Thingiverse
SKR TFT box: Slim and Elegant BTT TFT35 E3 V3 dual mode touch screen Extrusion Mount by 3Deddy - Thingiverse
Arm for mounting the TFT box (screw to side of the printer): Simple arm for Bigtree TFT35 screen case by Keeze101 - Thingiverse
Switchbox for MP3DP v2: Switchbox for MP3DP v2 by Keeze101 - Thingiverse

I think I read somewhere that you can expect a person’s attention span to be approximately their age plus 2 in minutes, so your 6 year old is doing better than most.

A google search shows a wide range of research findings, ranging from what I remembered above to things like 3 to 5 minutes per year of age.

Edit - I’m realizing I’m putting a judgement in there that doesn’t belong - “longer” is not equal to “better.” Anyone’s attention span is what it is. Knowing guidelines and working within reasonable expectations can help prevent frustration on all sides.

Hi Kees,
Many thanks and best wishes for a happy 2021 to you and to all the visitors of this wonderful forum.
B.R.
Paolo

1 Like

First print!
They wanted a frog, they got a frog!

5 Likes

Project almost finished, as part of the project, besides the paper they will finishing this weekend, my daughter made a video. You guys get the première :slight_smile: Btw, the video is in Dutch.

11 Likes

Nice work!

1 Like

Great build, and an incredible video. I’m duly impressed.

1 Like

Thanks, I show this to the ladies :grin:

2 Likes

I love to see these young ladies showing an interest in something electro-mechanical, with microprocessor tech thrown in for more learning. Perhaps you have assised two future Engineers. This world needs more Engineers who can design things from a female perspective. Good job to you and both of them. Keep up the good work.

4 Likes

Hi! Would you be willing to share the CAD file for the switchbox? I have a switch that has tabs on the top and bottom so the hole needs to be moved. Thanks in advance!

I added the .obj file to thingiverse (only it did not show up yet), so in the zip fusion archive, stp and obj files :wink:
switchbox.zip (180.1 KB)