Kelly the Carver's Build Thread

CTV has made it a bit of a habit to come broadcast the weather from here every winter. I called them in a panic on Monday to let them know the end was near. They came out last night so we rallied all the scoop kids we could find pretty fun night. We’re gonna save the slide if we can until Saturday night but after that it’s all over. Ski hill closes next weekend, most of the carvings are toast and my chainsaws need to thaw, dry, and head to the shop for some TLC.

[attachment file=93003]
[attachment file=93004]

3 Likes
3 Likes

The video looks great, but I must say it looks way better in person, the video really doesn’t show the size of the carvings. I think my favorite one is the seahorse with the coral. I can’t wait to see what next year brings

1 Like

We’ve already decided. Next years theme is the circus. Which could even take a political turn depending on what state our federal govt is in after our next elections :slight_smile:

too cool!

Neil

1 Like

Wow, just freaking wow!

1 Like

Can’t be any worse than ours…

Politics should be cheap entertainment, except it always costs too much. All that money wasted on commercials

Careful. You don’t want people leaving in tears.

I thought I had a MP3DP “Stuff I’ve made” thread on here too but I might be wrong. Plus it’s easier for me to just keep it all in one place anyway. Super stoked about my progress with Fusion 360 so far. Just eased my way through this one - a simple cookie cutter project but a bugger of a shape (for me anyway). I feel like it could have been smoother/sharper if I’d have imported line art but then the more I look at it I kinda like the organic lines. Time to make some cookie dough! (After the print that is…). I’ll post a pic of the printed piece.

[attachment file=“Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 10.35.53 PM.png”]

I’m on fire! Got this one exported now too! (C. Elegans…a microscopic worm - model organism for my wife’s research studies back in her university days.)

[attachment file=“Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.01.05 PM.png”]

The last cookie cutter is printing but along the way I had a special request from my sister come in. Broke open the wood PLA (and find it a bit silly and pointless I think) but perfect for this one.

I should learn how to share this stuff on Thingiverse.

[attachment file=94240]
[attachment file=94241]

1 Like

Here’s the full set of science cookie cutters for my wife’s bday!

[attachment file=94254]

2 Likes

Now you have to print a tiny toilet!

1 Like

Haha! I did see one on Thingiverse but am getting pretty fond of doing things in fusion for the challenge. Maybe…maybe I’ll try it. First I have to tend to the Rambo and dual end stop switchover. You know, to free up the mini for the ZenXY!

Don’t forget to make the interior voids correct to allow it to be functional… You never know when you’re going to need a toilet that size. :slight_smile:

I’m going for it! I committed to a trade fair this weekend and it was the fire I needed lit under me to get these things “ready” to take to the world. I’ve standardized the settings for my printed lithophanes so that I can produce custom CNC machined bases either for natural lighting or for artificial lighting. Just need to make the little bent bracket to hold the lamp assembly and the system is ready for branded, push button manufacturing! I fell in love with my touch plate last night. Made eight of these, four different sizes with tool changes. Amazing. My only goal is to pay for the MP3DP here - all the rest is bonus. The MPCNC already earned it’s keep.

Laser is next up to pay it’s dues. Hopefully in time to sneak preview with people at the trade fair tomorrow.

I took these photos on the diagonal for Dui…so he doesn’t have to flip his neck completely sideways…only a bit ; )[attachment file=96701]
[attachment file=96702]
[attachment file=96703]
[attachment file=96704]
[attachment file=96705]
[attachment file=96706]
[attachment file=96707]

1 Like

They look ok wtih the light off, but that one with the backlight… Wow. It really pops. You’ll do pretty well I bet.

1 Like

WHOAAA!

Hey Kelly, do you mind sharing your process for 3D printed lithophanes?

such software and settings you use?

Also, might, big maybe have found a process for 2d to grayscale. I’m still digging.