Key Blanks?

Do you guys think it would be possible to CNC key blanks on the LowRider? I saw this and thought even if I can’t do something that detailed it would be fun to try designing my own. I also found it on Amazon for anyone who thinks it’s cool and just wants to buy it.

The peaks can be milled but the deep sharp valley’s can not, I do not think they are actually important though. I am pretty sure a key just used the peaks and flat spots, so maybe with a small endmill you could get good results for most keys but I am sure a few would not be possible.

…Unless you carved it upright with a Vbit…that would work for sure.

1 Like

Do you want to carve the sword or cut the sword to fit your lock?

What material are they made of? It would be neat to make some custom blanks. You might even be able to make a business out of it with some neat designs.

1 Like

Keys are brass, or really bronze, so we should be able to cut them fairly easily.

1 Like

Dang I assumed just the teeth. That would be the weeny way out…Shoot. Yes, with a few turns it could all be milled and it would be awesome.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback! I’m glad to hear that it should be completely possible to do. I’m not sure when I’ll get to it, but I’ll post about it after I give it a try. If any of you try it out let me know!

I was also thinking that another way to do this would be to 3D print a key cover, like this. But CNCing it all as one piece would be better.

I was thinking the key cover approach might make more sense if your selling these. Buy key blanks and epoxy your milled cover design on. Or just sell the covers.

1 Like