Still lots to do but very happy to see this come out as well as it did on the first run (well second run, pen was not quite down far enough first time), been a lot of fun so far with a great mix of tech and hands on work.
Cleaning up the wiring will be the next item to complete then it will be time to invest in a spindle and some tools. Getting used to the workflow is going to be a challenge, thought 3D printing was bad enough!
I ended up reusing an old LCD that I had along with an I2C adaptor on the Mini-Rambo, happy to share the changes I made to Marlin to make this work if anyone is interested. It just provides basic feedback, I have a RPi/cncjs setup for actual control.