Kiwi MPCNC

Still lots to do but very happy to see this come out as well as it did on the first run (well second run, pen was not quite down far enough first time), been a lot of fun so far with a great mix of tech and hands on work.

[attachment file=61770]

Cleaning up the wiring will be the next item to complete then it will be time to invest in a spindle and some tools. Getting used to the workflow is going to be a challenge, thought 3D printing was bad enough!

I ended up reusing an old LCD that I had along with an I2C adaptor on the Mini-Rambo, happy to share the changes I made to Marlin to make this work if anyone is interested. It just provides basic feedback, I have a RPi/cncjs setup for actual control.

1 Like

Looks good. Stainless? What dimensions?

Stainless? What dimensions?
Yes stainless, came in 6m lengths from a local supplier (25.4mm OD) so went with 575mm x 575mm x 100mm which is about the much as I could get out of one 6m length. I had them cut it for me which meant much more accurate/clean cuts of the pieces.

@Ryan - thanks for cleaning up the original post and of course for sharing the MPCNC!

1 Like

Nice to see another nz build! What end of the country are you? Can i suggest the ingco laminate trimmer from topmaq?

I’m running one on my lowrider and another as table top router and haven’t had any issues with them despite only being $100.

Nice to see another nz build! What end of the country are you? Can i suggest the ingco laminate trimmer from topmaq?
Windy Wellington. The Ingco looks like good value, not wanting to kick off another discussion but I see plenty of builds using some sort of variable speed setup so had been looking at the 24v spindles with speed control, something I should worry about?

What are the dimensions of the Ingco?

The only issue I’ve ever had is the collet adapter makes the end mills really stick down from the motor.

The Ingco is 70mm diameter by 180mm from top to the end of the collet holder (and it comes with a 6mm and 6.4mm adapter) would be interested to see if it does fit, as like to get another for when I eventually build a MPCNC.

I’d recommend Topmaq’s router bits too, they’re reasonably well priced and do seem to last, the 6.4mm single flute does 6mm depth on cut on ply pretty easily - I’ve tried using the blue single flutes from Mitre10 and they don’t seem to go the distance.

For speed control I’m just using a 500w lighting dimmer, with the intention to go to PID control soon. I find that I’m running it at 75-100% most of the time as it is.

I’m down in grey old Christchurch.

The Ingco is 70mm diameter by 180mm from top to the end of the collet holder (and it comes with a 6mm and 6.4mm adapter) would be interested to see if it does fit, as like to get another for when I eventually build a MPCNC.

I’d recommend Topmaq’s router bits too, they’re reasonably well priced and do seem to last, the 6.4mm single flute does 6mm depth on cut on ply pretty easily - I’ve tried using the blue single flutes from Mitre10 and they don’t seem to go the distance.

For speed control I’m just using a 500w lighting dimmer, with the intention to go to PID control soon. I find that I’m running it at 75-100% most of the time as it is.

I’m down in grey old Christchurch.

Just to round this off, I ended up going with a 350W Ozito router from Bunnings. Side by side with 2 of their more expensive routers, the body was exactly the same (or close to it) so figured it was worth a try since they were all likely made in the same factory and rebranded. It was a standard 65mm diameter body so plenty of choices for fittings on Thingiverse.

So far so good but not really done anything too complex with it yet, using the Evacut (happen to be a kiwi brand) bits from Bunnings/Mitre10 but intend to look at alternatives when I need to do anything more than the basics.

1 Like