Klipper possible?

Has anyone attempted to run Skipper on an MPCNC? I hear it makes configuration changes a snap, can improve quality on low end boards and if i set up an octopi anyway it would require no additional hardware.

Thoughts?
-Atom

Klipper? It has been done. It seems like a great project, although there may be some growing pains for making it cnc only. In marlin, the biggest thing is disabling the extruder and heaters.

yeah sorry, i was tired last night. but good to know it is a possibility.

2 Likes

I have Klipper running perfectly with skr1.4 turbo and K

lipperscreen.

5 Likes

It runs fluidd well too.

2 Likes

Excellent, as I abandoned Marlin long ago on my printers in favour of Klipper. Mind sharing you printer.cfg?

2 Likes

Gary,
What CAM (or CAD/CAM) software do you use and can it send the gcode file(s) straight to the MPCNC or do you have to do the olā€™ SDcard transfer/shuffle?
So far, from what I can tell with no hardware to test with (ā€¦yet), Klipper doesnā€™t fully support all the gcode commands there are in with CAM/CNC operations vs. 3D printing operations.

Matt

Fusion 360 with the MPCNC post processor seems to work quite well if you enable garcs in Klipper and remove tool changes.

Sorry, but whatā€™s a ā€˜garcā€™? Still trying to understand the workflow and the different Software packages/programs that Iā€™ll need or should obtain.

Enable gcode arcs:

G2 and G3 commands are arcs (parts of circles) instead of lines like G1.

Config to enable them:

1 Like

Thanks Jeff. My controller (MCU) board came in, Iā€™ve got Klipper (with mainsail) installed and configured (with garc). Hooked up some steppers for a bench test. The steppers turn, and with some jumpers on the endtops, the endstops work also and make the individual motors stop when triggered.
Now I need to build the CNC router, but I guess, I need to start with a table first :face_with_peeking_eye: :shushing_face:
Still very new to all this, but getting excited as I uncover the clues.
Still trying to figure out how to get the gcode file from the CAM software (which I still havenā€™t determined what Iā€™ll use) to the controller (with Klipper, I think if I can just create the Gcode file, then I can upload it straight to the controller).
Iā€™ll see when I get to that step and if things donā€™t work, I can always go back to using Marlin (and relearning it :laughing:).

1 Like

The estlcam basics should work fine for klipper. I think there are some minor differences, but nothing severe. I would start with the premade gcode of the test crown and then try to replicate it with your cam setup and DXF. None of that is very helpful until you have a machine though. Be confident the electronics are fine and start turning some screws.

3 Likes

Iā€™m did a few cuts on Klipper now - Itā€™s working absolutely fine.

4 Likes

Search for ā€œ84ā€ in MPCNC.cps. Remove or edit out line, ā€œwriteBlock(mFormat.format(84), sFormat.format(0)); // Disable steppers timeoutā€ . Remove Double bump homing from printer config if using sensorless homing. These are the things that took me the longest to figure out. Once set up correctly I would argue it is better than Marlin. Will add my .cfg and .cps file shortly.

2 Likes

Hi all, thanks everyone for sharing your Klipper experience in this and other topics on the forum :slight_smile: I just finished a Marlin to Klipper convert of an MPCNC Primo. It is a SKR 1.3 with 5x TMC 2209 dual steppers and physical endstops. Kiauh image on the RPI for control and as of now, only a few macros. If anyone is interested in the printer.cfg file or any other details, I would be happy to share :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes please!! If you can share your cfg files that would be great!
Iā€™m using a Manta m8p board. Iā€™ve been trying to get everything going based off of @N7NJO config files. I donā€™t have a good way to get the dw660 to switch on at the start and off at the end.
Thanks !!

1 Like

Hereā€™s a klipper cfg file I posted a while ago. It contains macros for switching a relay on/off that is activated by a gpio pin. You would need to identify an unused gpio pin on the m8p board and provide the appropriate pin id. The following macros, TOOL_ON and TOOL_OFF can be placed in gcode files.

[output_pin tool_power]
 # tool_power pin PA4 is located at J52, the 6th jumper down in the endstop block
 pin: PA4
 value: 0
 shutdown_value: 0
 pwm: false

[gcode_macro TOOL_ON]
gcode:
  SET_PIN PIN=tool_power VALUE=1

[gcode_macro TOOL_OFF]
gcode:
  SET_PIN PIN=tool_power VALUE=0

gcode:

;(Exported by FreeCAD)
;(Post Processor: klipper_post)
;(Output Time:2022-09-06 16:47:54.599671)
;(begin preamble)
;(begin operation: G54)
;(machine units: mm/min)
G0 Z31.400 
;(finish operation: G54)
;(begin operation: 1/8in Endmill001)
TOOL_ON 
;(finish operation: 1/8in Endmill001)
;(begin operation: DressupTag)
G0 Z31.400 
G0 X21.837 Y47.274 Z31.400 

https://forum.v1e.com/t/klipper-for-the-lr2/34005/12

3 Likes

I have been playing with klipper on my printers. Was ready to do it for mpcnc but Ryans grbl seems to be moving fast and it has been cnc ready for a while. If you find problems, take a look at it!

2 Likes