laser cutter

Almost done with my machine, and want to add the laser to it…

Am I correct in assuming that the J-tech option is mostly plug and play while the $100 dollar laser upgrade requires some set up?

I don’t think they actually are very different, I would say the J-Tech comes all in one box, the $100 comes in different boxes.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

They both require electrical connections and you’ll need to print a housing and connect the fan and driver either way. The jtech is a bit easier to tune and doesn’t require a firnware mod because it’ll accept the 12v pwm fan output from the ramps board while the diy option requires 5v pwm. I think the diy option with the test load is very easy to tune but will require more work up front to construct the diode and resistor assembly. It took me ten minutes to solder mine together but this is all subjective. If you’ve done any soldering before then it’ll be a piece of cake.

I think it’s only fair that I add a disclaimer. My opinion is biased only because I’ve hooked up and tuned these lasers a few times already so it seems really easy for me. Hopefully others will chime in with more unbiased opinions.

I appreciate the information, and thanks for the incredible DIY guide. Looks like I will go the diy route.