Laser engraving - not really getting great results

Last dinner away (did not buy a boat…yet :slight_smile:

I’ve been watching this develop over the past two days and am amazed by each and every one of you. I hope in the coming weeks and months I learn enough to start contributing to these conversations. S-M-R-T…

1 Like

Heath if you are still messing around, can you try everything off, turn junction deviation on and set it at 0.1

My ninth set of Garfield’s feet are looking much better.

Shoot, never mind, compared to yours David this still is not right.

When all the kids are in bed, I’ll go tinker some more. I do have the MPCNC813_GLCD that David provided configured, compiled, and ready to flash and try out.

didn’t marlin “fix” the jerk or acceleration limits? Maybe the same settings are now causing problems.

Man, I am completely baffled. The old one (1.1.9) works perfect. I have dug through so many files. It has to do with the fan speed somehow. We have proven the board, the file, and the pin all work. I have matched every setting and turned off all new “features”. There is some sort of acceleration or averaging going on with the fan.

I saw something that looked sort of like the fan might have a lower priority to fill the buffer (I can’t find it again)?

Ok, I’m giving this a shot right now. Would someone mind posting the settings they are using? Even at 1mm/mm this thing is running too fast. I’m having to turn the feedrate down to 30% in repetier.

So, yeah, check this out. Old firmware. Looks amazing so far.[attachment file=“IMG_08022019_225800_(1080_x_2222_pixel).jpg”]

1 Like

Hmmm, mine is starting at the top for some reason. I have my origin set to the lower left corner.

I’m just using the gcode file David provided earlier.

Okay, maybe, I don’t know.

in Marlin.cpp there is this chunk.

// Limit check_axes_activity frequency to 10Hz
staticmillis_t next_check_axes_ms =0;
if (ELAPSED(ms, next_check_axes_ms)) {
planner.check_axes_activity();
next_check_axes_ms = ms + 100UL;
}
}
The fans use this, from planner.cpp
/**
* Maintain fans, paste extruder pressure,
*/
void Planner::check_axes_activity() {
uint8_t axis_active[NUM_AXIS] = { 0 },
tail_fan_speed[FAN_COUNT];
1 Like

So, does this mean they have purposely slowed down fan response? That equation does not seem to exist in the old Marlin, but the variable still is.

Confirmed.

I commented out that equation turned everything back on, perfect etch.

CRAP. There is no easy fix. This needs to get some sort of config.h laser setting to turn it off. But while we are at it we might as well figure out why the heck it is acclerating of fan value changes as well. If we can get rid of that as well, laser on Marlin will be top notch.

1 Like

I am so stoked i got a great image! Now I leave it to people smarter than me to figure out how to get the latest firmware to do this.

[attachment file=“IMG_08022019_233545_(1080_x_2222_pixel).jpg”]

3 Likes

I bet it wants a particular segment to have a certain fan speed. So even if the moves are in a line, if the fans are different, then it will stop.

So, what was wrong with the M3 stuff?

Haha. I love the image of Heath jumping around pumping his fist at the image of Garfield and his coffee.

I wish I could find it but the planner is soooo packed full of things.

Even the marlin page has a comment, Not for laser use…even though it is says laser/spindle. When enabled you can not disable the delay, you can not set it to 0, even setting it to 1 still causes the machine to accelerate completely on every single value change. Basically dead in the water with all the value changes that happen on a laser every 0.1mm.

That 10hz is killing us, 100%. If we get a solution we can submit it to github, but if not I will have to kick out some laser branches for every board…boooo.

So what did you comment out?

Leave just this line, from that chunk, in marlin.cpp

planner.check_axes_activity();

2 Likes

I think I skipped like a schoolgirl from my shop to the house feeling all smart and accomplished with my piece of cardboard to show off to my wife (who pretended to be impressed) and my son (who is a Mechanical Engineer major in college and he wanted to talk about calculus and PID loops and other things I don’t understand and I realized I wasn’t so smart and accomplished after all).

3 Likes