LASERS...I could use some info

I’ll be looking for opinions on the Banggood 5W too… looks like a good deal.

The more powerful typically the larger the spot size in diodes. So it is extremely deceptive.

2 Likes

I have the Eleksmaker A3 laser with the 3500W laser from Banggood (same as above). The laser works with the Eleksmaker, but it uses TTL while the Mana board sends PWM. I could only get full power ON/OFF until I bought the “EleksMaker PWM to TTL Transition Module”. I don’t know if this applies to what you’re doing, but it’s a nice option fro US$5. I use T2laser to run it and can get it to output variable power.

The power difference in the single-digit (watts) diode lasers isn’t staggering. They’re all pretty limited when it comes to cutting. Carving is not a problem.

I like having a laser for engraving, but I kinda wish I’d gotten a 40W CO2 laser instead.

Totally agree

I have my Laser attached to a RAMPS board and it is fully controllerable using the TTL, I followed the online firmware adjustment that Some Old Guy Coding did and changed pins from D9 too Pin44, very easy to do and I am now considering flashing GBRL firmware to my Ramps to make it even more controllerable.

Will this project ever ends lol

regards

Can’t wait to see what you guys can cut with this!

My goal is to find a way to laser cut parts out of 1/4" finish birch plywood. I’m REALLY interested to see if the 3500 can do it. When I get back in country, I’ll be building an Open Source Flight Training Device, and the goal is to make the ‘furniture’ portion a CNC cut, interlocking design, and I like working with Laser cut parts. I fell in love with it when making old Carl Goldberg model airplanes. I have no actual talent, so… They were die cut I think, but laser is basically the same. The laser can have the same effect, without the dogbone cuts necessary for router cuts.

And, it’s a laser, and I’m basically a 12 year old. So laser. It’s just cool, and while I’m a 12 year old, I have a middle aged wallet.

Ryan, this is your fault. :wink:

1 Like

I think 1/4" is pushing it. From what I’ve seen, 1/8" is pushing it. Maybe air assist will help.

Had to make sure I wasn’t alone!

I had a “40W” CO2, with best focus I could get through 1/4" MDF. Plywood is typically a little easier but depending on the glue used can be more difficult. That is with a 40W, not a 3.5. If that is the end goal I wouldn’t get your hopes up. A few passes and serious air assist maybe, but a cnc is probably faster at that point.

Evening Gents

I hope this is not a stupd queston. I am using amended Marlin Firmware as in assigned Pin 9 to pin44 for the PWM of my Laser. after looking in to better software, it seems i would be better off running GRBL on my ramps board. well that the preamble done to my question.

So does GRBL still use the assigned changed as per pin 44?

Can anyone guide me towards better software for usng a laser ?

regards in advance

Okay my esteemed crew, I am almost there. A few sets of eyes and your overly honest opinions would be appreciated.

https://www.v1engineering.com/lasers/

1 Like

A few more pictures would be cool, and me finishing…but I will just keep working on it unless I let y’all see it.

I don’t have the knowledge to respond to the accuracy of the content, but there was information there that I didn’t know.

Will you have additional information or recommendations on any of the China lasers or links to potential mounting brackets?

Also… what wattage laser do I need for etching PCB boards? Maybe you could do some type of chart with typical capabilities compared to typical wattages?

Looking good, Ryan! Can’t wait for the entire doc. I’ve read Leo’s documentation multiple times… great idea about including it.

I don’t think it’s much, since you’re just burning off the marker then chemically etching it.

I don’t want to chemically etch. Can a laser not burn off the copper?

I don’t thibk so. I thought they were just burning off a mask and then chemically etching.

This makes me sad… funny side thought… I’m guessing by the number of times I’ve seen you type ‘thibk’ that you don’t use a split or a natural keyboard?

I do, on my desk (there’s a recent pic in the off topic forums). The phone is another crapshoot. The worst is when I go to type ‘m’ and accidentally hit backspace.

Ah. I don’t browse this site much on the cell phone.

A chemical etch is just ferric chloride isn’t it? Is it easier to mill them?