Lasers...revisted

Headed out to test some more.

So far I have found you do not need to enable inline commands for inline commands to work. That must be a bug.

2 Likes

Okay using Junction deviation instead of Classic Jerk is letting the Rambo Burn at about 22mm/s instead of the previous 10-12mm/s. That is nice. The Vector at 25mm/s is perfect, Could probably do much faster.

I previously thought it was accelerating the power transitions but I think it has to do with the resolution now. I need to try and track down max commands/s for the LCD, SD card combo on an 8bit board. The proof would be if I can’t get the SKR to go any faster with the same changes, so…

Time to test the SKR pro.

4 Likes

Looks like 30mm/s on the SKR Pro (raster test) is a touch high.So maybe 28mm/s now, previously we had 25, now we might have 30. I have a feeling we are bumping up on some other hitch, the LCD/SD is still a valid bottleneck in my opinion.

Note, FR display is not updating on the GUI side of the TFT and in the FR menu M221 error. It does actually work though

Same results from the Marlin side and GUI side. Updating the first post with info.

So I my programmer is here, I was sitting down to see if I could recover my two popped boards. I put the jumpers to USB power (so I would not have to power them otherwise), Dropped a fresh bin on it, they both flashed and booted right up!!! I have no idea what happened or why they felt like working now. Not having to figure out the bootloader thing is awesome.

Now on to the 6 pack controller…and maybe a 6 pack to celebrate a successful day!

2 Likes

Huh. Ok.

Any development on the SKR 1p3?

No rush of course, my laser has traveled from my burly, to the lowrider2, to the new small platform Primo which is running 32bit just for this. :sunglasses:

I am super impressed with your testing results!

I only “officially” support the skr pro. The changes that are made are pretty easy and you can replicate them if you look at any of the other laser enabled firmware, other than the pin assignment.

I made the switch to SKR pro after my 1.3 quit talking to my pc. I should have this up and running after the Holiday.

Thanks Ryan!

1 Like

Hi,

I am trying to make the marlin laser control work for quite a while now, so I am really happy I came across this thread!
Are the source files of the firmware that works with a laser available? If so, where can I find it?
Currently I am using a ramps board, but if necessary I am willing to buy a skr board.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

The source files for the firmware are always available but the pre-configured versions are still under testing and should be available in the next few days.

Thanks for the quick reply! Where can I find the source files that work with the laser? I can only find sources files where the laser is not enabled.

On the firmware page you will see some instructions for getting nightly or bleeding edge builds that are unverified.

I planned on doing a new release yesterday but I can;t do it just yet. I have some orders to catch up on after the holidays.

2 Likes

Hey @Ryan has testing stalled on this? I just got my laser to work tonight and I’m on a rambo board, latest firmware for the latest glitch issues. (No LCD / SD card enabled in software).

On your rambo board, what is your typical feeds? I was playing with 22mm/s burn and 90mm/s travel and 85% power tonight but I didn’t know where your sweet spot was.

Yeah all of this is already in our preconfigured firmware.

First post has the details,

I would not travel faster than burning, it causes some acceleration artifacts.

1 Like

Got it, thank you!

3 posts were split to a new topic: Laser questions for the SKR

Hey peeps, popping in to put in my 2-cents. I’ve managed to compile for my LR2 (SKR 1.4 Turbo with TMC2209 drivers) using MarlinBuilder in addition to a few tweaks (including inline laser!). However my steppers are noisy. Anyone here come across a fix yet? Is this why TMC2209 on a SKR 1.4 Turbo not listed as a config in the MarlinBuilder?(I had to make one) Edit: Steppers are supposed to be noisy?

Other than the noise on the steppers, it seems to work well. (also my end stops are configured NO)
V1CNC_SkrTurbo_DualLR_2209 (built from the bugfix-2.0.x branch last night)

Some wiggly lines! (used E2 Engraving Test.gcode)

1 Like