LCD display

Issue: 2 bars on LCD screen

Detail:I am using window PC. I bought the Ramps 1.4 kit and LCD form vicious1.
I flashed it with MPCNC511_GLCD, changed the single line of code in the firmware configuration.h. and added u8glib for Arduino.

From this
//#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER
To
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTRO

I have attached the front and back view of the LCD and how it connected to Ramps. I have tired turning the contrast and switching cables but they wont work. No error during flashing. Is there anything I missed ?

Thank you

Can you post pictures of the cables connected to the lcd? There have been a couple that had the connectors soldered to the board incorrectly.

1 Like

There are the photos. There is a problem on uploading picture.Sorry about that. Thanks

I don’t think that is the full graphic LCD, but just the smart controller. I think you need to uncomment REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER for that one.

1 Like

Thank you, Mike and Barry. It is a low-level mistake. Now it works great.

1 Like

No worries! I’m a newb myself, in the process of printing parts, but have made it through testing of ramps, lcd and steppers, so I knew just barely enough to comment.

2 Likes

LOL. It took me two days to get it working. I guess kind of long… I mostly learn from try and error.

Hi, I am having problems with my display. I’ve hooked the full graphics smart controller to the mini-rambo with the supplied cable but it appears to flicker in and out of the matrix. On the homescreen, the XYZ coordinates flicker question marks and other settings which should show values are completely illegible.
I bought this from the RepRap shop and they said the problem appears to be static and that the cables are too long. The supplied LCD cables are 200mm which I imagine are the shortest available and the mini-rambo is wired up via a standard 12V power adapter. Surely this is not the problem?

What version of the firmware do you have on there. One had bad LCD timing and needed to be lowered. Try the newest branch and you should be good to go.

I am sure it already had the latest versions but I tried reinstalling everything again

Arduino 1.8.12
u8glib 1.19.1
[MPCNC_MRambo_T8_16T_LCD] current version from github

The past few attempts have created an error message like this:

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board: “RAMBo”

Sketch uses 111998 bytes (43%) of program storage space. Maximum is 258048 bytes.
Global variables use 4678 bytes of dynamic memory.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

The latest one is V1CNC_Rambo or similar. Sorry for the confusion.

It looks like it can’t talk to the board. Do you have the 12V on?

1 Like

Have you got a link to V1CNC_Rambo? I can only see the one I downloaded for the mini-rambo.
Yeah I’m connected up, I have no idea what the problem is.

Use the drop down on the firmware page, shown here.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/marlin-firmware/#using-github

I found it but another error has occured. Can anyone shed some light on what this means please?

sketch\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: In function ‘void u8g_spiSend_sw_AVR_mode_0(uint8_t)’:

sketch\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp:90:3: error: ‘U8G_ATOMIC_START’ was not declared in this scope

U8G_ATOMIC_START();

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sketch\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp:90:3: note: suggested alternative: ‘SIG_ATOMIC_MAX’

U8G_ATOMIC_START();

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SIG_ATOMIC_MAX

sketch\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp:100:3: error: ‘U8G_ATOMIC_END’ was not declared in this scope

U8G_ATOMIC_END();

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sketch\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp:100:3: note: suggested alternative: ‘U8G_ESC_END’

U8G_ATOMIC_END();

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

U8G_ESC_END

sketch\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp: In function ‘void u8g_spiSend_sw_AVR_mode_3(uint8_t)’:

sketch\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp:110:3: error: ‘U8G_ATOMIC_START’ was not declared in this scope

U8G_ATOMIC_START();

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sketch\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp:110:3: note: suggested alternative: ‘SIG_ATOMIC_MAX’

U8G_ATOMIC_START();

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SIG_ATOMIC_MAX

sketch\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp:120:3: error: ‘U8G_ATOMIC_END’ was not declared in this scope

U8G_ATOMIC_END();

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sketch\src\HAL\HAL_AVR\u8g_com_HAL_AVR_sw_spi.cpp:120:3: note: suggested alternative: ‘U8G_ESC_END’

U8G_ATOMIC_END();

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~

U8G_ESC_END

exit status 1
Error compiling for board RAMBo.

option enabled in File → Preferences.

Follow the instructions for flashing marlin in the docs. You don’t have u8glib installed correctly:

https://docs.v1engineering.com/electronics/marlin-firmware/

Nobody ever has u8glib installed correctly the first time around…

I did. That time I attached u8glib to the config file.
Ive tried again but it’s just a timeout error.

Sketch uses 103336 bytes (40%) of program storage space. Maximum is 258048 bytes.
Global variables use 4699 bytes of dynamic memory.
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Is your board plugged in to power AND USB, it should be.

1 Like

Yes, the Tx/Rx LED’s are flashing when I send it across so it acknowledges communication, right? I’ve tried resetting the board and resending. Yet nothing.

Someone online suggested this regarding timeouts issues:

Change
mega.menu.cpu.atmega2560.upload.protocol=wiring To:

mega.menu.cpu.atmega2560.upload.protocol=stk500v2

I can’t see this for the mini-rambo but that ‘avrdude: stk500v2’ seems to be the problem?