Learning Doc Pages

Ryan merged in some new Learning pages into the docs. They aren’t targeting people who are building a machine (they are not instructions) but just generally putting down useful information. Stuff that isn’t needed, but could help people understand what is happening. The intended audience has something to learn, and it’s better if the information is helpful and accurate, at the expense of complete.

I’d like more eyes, both from people who know what they are talking about, and new people, who don’t know all this yet. You can either drop feedback here, or hit the pencil on the page and become a contributor. Edits get reviewed, so there’s no harm in trying.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/learn/software_overview/

https://docs.v1engineering.com/learn/gcode/

https://docs.v1engineering.com/learn/motion/

https://docs.v1engineering.com/learn/coordinates/

I know it could use some pictures, or diagrams to break it up. I also think there are probably a few places across the rest of the docs that could link back and forth to make it more discoverable.

Thanks!

5 Likes

I am giving this a shot in an effort to contribute. Shockingly, I have never used github or this particular markup language.

I am not sure you will see anything until I “create a pull request”. However, please ignore changes you might see until I update this thread. I tend to do edits in parts and slowly thus creating a confusing document until its done.

Cool! Yup, we won’t see it until you create the pull request so take your time.

I have one seriously stupid question. I made some changes (it creates some kind of branch). I “saved” or “committed” that, fine I guess.

But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to continue editing my branch. Must be something simple I am missing. Will google as well.

Okay I might have figure it out. Stay tuned.

Okay, I tried to make a useful contribution to “software overview”. I basically just tried to enhance what was there already with one major theme…

I altered the theme it to be more of a “workflow+software overview”. Since I am new to the scene I tried to look at it from the perspective of “I wish someone told me this when I started”.

Finally, if you like the alterations, I am sure you will find markup improvements because I am not that familiar with github. Starting pull request now, I have no idea how that works.

1 Like

Thanks. I will take a look in a bit. I will wait for Ryan to check it out too.

One thing that really confused me when I was first thinking about building a MPCNC, was whether I’d need a computer (with monitor, mouse and keyboard) connected to it.

Using the LCD is pretty obvious once you try it, but I think it would be useful to have some discussion of headless vs Repetier.

Also, would docs.v1 be an appropriate place to host instructions for a foam-board needle cutter?

1 Like

Yes! Use/Tools section

This is on my list and has been for a while. I added a blurb to the store but not to the docs yet. I will move it up the priority ladder as it really seems to have helped people in the shop (~90% buy an LCD now before it was probably 50%). Just to clarify this is not about the sales but we all know it is much easier day to day to use an LCD or V1Pi. First steps I still recommend a computer and repetier.

AWESOME!! I am looking over it now, so far it is pretty amazing it is surely adding another perspective and some of the woording does seem more “noob” friendly. I even got to give you a golden editor badge…:clap::partying_face:

1 Like

A few folks have asked for pages about the LCD. I would have done it already, but I think it is 80% just taking pictures, and cropping them, etc.

2 Likes

Was gonna make a fork/pull but its just too much work for one little spelling check lol

Not sure if that is supposed to be high or height but… yeah lol

1 Like

I’ve had a go at creating a page for the foam needle cutter. It’s my first attempt at using GitHub or MarkDown (and I’ve barely got my machine working), so I may have gotten it all wrong…

2 Likes

Thank you! I will try to take a look later this evening. I am still packing orders, I got a late start…

1 Like

Me too, except instead of packing orders, it is arguing with toddlers.

The literal interpretation they have to everything when convenient to them can be infuriating, yet impressive at the same time…hahahaha.

2 Likes

Me: Mommy is not home. She is at work.

Toddler: YES, Mommy is HOME! NO WORK!

4 Likes

Reviewed, and I edited it a little (more details in the PR).

This looks great. I am not a great plane pilot (but I’m ok with quadcopters and helicopters. I can fly well enough in acro mode). But I have been looking at getting a plane I can learn on, and then I want to get back to making foamies. The ones I’ve made in the past have crashed pretty quick, and have all been by hand. All that to say, I hope to make one myself someday soon. This looks easier than I thought it would be. So thank you.

Merged.

https://docs.v1engineering.com/tools/foam-needle-cutter/

1 Like

I usually recommend the FliteTest Tiny Trainer, but the plans are a struggle to import into Estlcam. There’s something odd about the PDF, and some lines appear in the wrong place. Also it’s not nicely organized into foam-board sheets, but has some pieces floating around.

It’s a great trainer for teaching yourself. The nose is replaceable, as is the wing, which can be swapped for an aerobatic version when you’re ready for it.

arguing with toddlers

“whyyyyyy?” :wink:

Toddler: YES, Mommy is HOME! NO WORK!

Apparently this stage is called ‘magic thinking’, where they haven’t quite worked out the difference between external reality and internal belief.

Merged.

Cool, thanks!

I like that. We accidentally conditioned her to answer any “How” question with: whispers “Magic”. Sometimes she gets her magic hands waving too. Unfortunately, we laugh every time, so I think that behavior is going to stay for a while.

Thanks for the plane suggestion. Is it possible/easy to add flight stabilization to a plane like that? I was thinking of adding something like this rx. I suppose the stable wing would sort of do that, but without the electronics. If my world wasn’t completely covered in snow, I would have already bought one of those sub $100 flight stabalized plans off of banggood.