Limit Switches Needed

Are the limit switches required on the mp3dp? Does it home each time? Is it like the lowrider where i can set the position and print from there?

Hmmm. You could. The most important one is the Z endstop. You need to get a very accurate height for the Z, or you’ll never get your first layer to print. The XY isn’t as important, but I have my bed size set up in my slicer (prusa-slicer) and it auto centers the work, so if I don’t put the xy, 0,0 in the lower left, the print will be off to the upper right.

Is there a reason you don’t want to do them? They should be pretty easy to set up.

Just didnt want to take the time to do it. However, you have talked me into doing the z switch.

1 Like

If you use mesh leveling you absolutely need the x and y endstops or your mesh won’t be in the right place. For a 3d printer there’s no good reason to avoid the endstops. For a CNC you might mount the material differently from one cut to the next but a 3d printer always has the same bed size.

I’m interested to hear how it works. I have never questioned the logic of endstops on a 3D printers. I am interested to hear if it causes any unforseen troubles.

Typically you have to home x and y before you can home z, as the printer needs that location. I suppose you can ignore the homing entirely but you might have to rewrite the firmware to get around the XY before Z restriction.

There is a parameter (SAFE_HOME_Z, IIRC) that you can turn off so it doesn’t have to home X and Y first. I remember turning it on when I first tried mesh levelling, so I’m not sure if it is on by default or not.

It does work without stops. I have to delete the home all axis line in the gcode. Lower the nozzle to within a few thousands of the table. When I hit print the nozzle lifts up about .5 mm and takes off. But I havent actually printed anything yet.

Installed the switches. worth the time.

2 Likes