Looking for help with slopping milling / drawing

Hi guys, I am just getting back to my mpcnc after being away for school and decided to try the crown test as well as milling a few cuts. It seems like my machine isn’t doing very well on circular drawing or milling (seems to be somewhat jagged and noncircular). Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would be happy to provide any more info or photos that would help. Thanks

It would only let me upload 1 image as a new user so I combined a few, would be happy if someone had another way around this

I can’t help but I am waiting for the answers you receive.
i have found recently found that I need to be way more conservative than the V1 Engineering Race from a couple weeks ago. At this point I basically just print the exact same thing over again with different bits and feed rates.

The specs for your cuts would help the most. How deep, and how fast, using what endmill?

The belts look a bit loose as well. Bend the corners so they are sharp and they will act like less of a spring.

Thanks for the quick reply! For the cut in the picture with multiple holes that was using a cheap 1/8" 2 flute bit, the cut to the right of the crown picture was with a more premium 1/4" single flute bit. I provided screenshots of how I setup each in fusion and their speeds but I have never done anything like this and really just found some random numbers online and have no idea if they are close to ideal.

1/8" bit

1/4" bit

For your comment on the belts, I’m not really sure what you mean by bend the corners? I thought they seemed loose as well but I’ve run into issue where if I tighten them much more than that the machine seems to get stuck or stall in certain areas and i’m not too sure why since they don’t seem that tight.

Have you seen the milling basics page? You have 93mm/sec for your feedrate for a 1/4" endmill. The firmware limits you at 50mm/s…and most people cut at 8-15mm/s.

Fusion has a million setting that can be wrong, I highly suggest starting with estlcam. Extremely simple and does nearly everything fusion does. Use the units I use to start with so you can easily match my suggestions without converting everything.

2 Likes

Will do, that makes a lot more sense. Before I get back to any more milling, any other suggestions to look at other than the belts that would improve the accuracy my crown testing?

Just get the speeds back into the right ballpark and everything should be awesome. You are 10x or so above normal, so things are gunna be nastier than normal.

The Test crown, my gcode should be a real test of your build…with a pen and super light pressure.

The crown test I posed a picture of above is actually your exact gcode, so wondering if there is anything else that could be causing any issues?

I agree, the loops for the zip ties should be small if possible and in any case try to bend the zip ties so the loops are square-ish instead of round. Even if the tension is not higher they will be quite a lot stiffer.

2 Likes

Have a look at the two pictures of my blue and black corners, a few pics down on this page. Belts - V1 Engineering Documentation

Notice one end is as short as possible, the other side actually has a zip tie pinching it together. When you leave loops open you have springs.

1 Like

No one else mentioned it, so I’ll throw in “check that the pulley set screws are tight on the flats of the stepper motors.”

2 Likes

Thanks for all the tips guys, my cuts are looking way better and consistent with all the improvements

1 Like