Looking For Primo JTech 2.8w Laser Mount

Long story short, had to move and can’t run a router at my new place due to noise complaints. I finally got a JTech laser though to still be able to use this incredible machine! Looking for mounts, I am not finding any that fit on the new Primo base. Before getting to work modeling a solution, I wanted to ask just to be sure (as I am sure anyone else’s design would be better, haha). I have found plenty of mounts that fit the “525” version (like this). As well as one example of one that fits the Primo, but is much to small for the JTech laser. Any information would be appreciated! (especially if its a silent spindle haha) Thanks all!

If you do a search on this forum for “Laser Mount” you will find a number of references, including a couple of Primo laser mounts. Some of these reference contain links to STL files, other just have a picture that might help with your design. Even if the Primo designs are not a perfect match, you might want to borrow from them.

But you have a few choices beyond modding a design for a direct Primo mount. For example, you might be able to use this mount. Note how it attaches directly to the tubing. The geometry of the tubing stayed the same between the Burly and the Primo, so if your tubing is the same size as was used in this design, this mount will fit.

Another option is is replace your Primo mounting plates with the Burly mounting plate, and then you can use any laser mount designed for the Burly. If you upgraded to a Primo from a Burly, you might still have the mounting plate and nut traps.

And another approach might be to use a mount like this one or this one where the laser fits inside a cylinder matching the diameter of the router, and the cylinder is then mounted using the router mount. Don’t know if either of these will fit the JTech 2.8w, but it is a different approach than to design a direct Primo mount.

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas! I had done a lot of searching for mounts on the forum and seen a ton, just none that worked with the specific case (understandably). I do like the idea of just tossing it in a tube and replacing the 660, so I might go that route. I did not know that the pipes did not change between the Burly and Primo, so I appreciate that information as well! I built the Primo, so don’t have the burly hardware available, but knowing there is a way to use the old designs if I want is also helpful. Thank you!

The Burly files are still available on Thingiverse. Download the files for your tubing size, and print out one of the ToolMount* file. If you add additional perimeters to the holes, you can widen the holes after printing and use the Primo mounting machine screws and the Primo nut traps that you already have installed. No saying you should go this route, but I just wanted you to have this info.

I do like the idea of just tossing it in a tube and replacing the 660

I like this design also since it allows a pretty quick swap between laser and router. It is also a bit easier to design than starting from Ryan’s STEP files for mounts.

I did not know that the pipes did not change between the Burly and Primo

Let me be clear here. Given the same diameter of tubing or conduit, the geometry is the same. The distance and placement of the holes is the same. So for example, if you built your Primo with 25.4 (1") tubing, then the tool mount plate reference above from the 25.4mm version of the Burly will fit.

1 Like