Low no mo'... Sawtooth shelves as my last last Lowrider project

I am seriously considering this expense. I like a clean shop, cleaner breathing, and with less noise I could be a little more free with the hours I run the machines at. Space and cost is my downsides now, HF with coupons though…

I’d highly recommend springing for a 1-micron or better canister filter to go with whatever you get. If you’re doing MDF or anything producing fine dust, those filter bag systems that come with the cheaper ones just become redistributors. Most canister filters have a cleaning crank that makes quick work of basic dust buildup that occurs. I ditched all my awkward cyclone separators in favor of this setup and it’s been working well.

1 Like

I was looking at that, I am pretty sure there is a Grizzly that comes “decked” out with the 1 micron and an aluminum impeller (not sure why that is important). Seems like that might be the mark to save for.

Aluminum is non-sparking (if a screw or other metal gets sucked into it) so safer feeding into a big pile of wood chips

4 Likes

That is great to know!

There is a difference between volume and pressure though. Check first if a shop vac with a 100mm hose can replace one with 50mm.

My explanation is fuzzy, sorry.

1 Like

Also my dad had a shopvac one when i was a kid. If a large piece got sucked in, you could tell that fan was plastic. Couple times i thought it was going to break, it would hit hard.

1 Like

@vicious1 as @jgunnar states, I would go with one of these canisters too. You can still go with a cheaper DC and then get a canister to replace the bag (depending on the model you get). Here is a link to a recommended canister: Donaldson P181038 Filter or Donaldson P182038 Filter.

I’ve seen many reviews on saving some coinage by going with the HF 2hp DC and using one of these 2 filters dropped into place (with a few additions like hold down clamps and possibly a donut to have it sit on) but most say it even increased air flow for them. Just some more ideas if you wanted something sooner. I am waiting until we close on our new house to see what else I will need to set up my new shop/garage, and then go from there, but both of those are saved in my Amazon cart.

1 Like

They can explain it better: Understanding the Difference Between Flow, Velocity, and Pressure - Articles - STANMECH Technologies Inc.

My big vac can’t suck up the chips from the MPCNC that well because it does not have as much velocity but does WAAAAAY better with the planer than the little one, because it has got a higher flow volume but less velocity.

3 Likes

Interesting, adapting it down to the smaller hose is a factor. Shoot.

Yeah, that is not working too well, tried that before and was pretty disappointed, so I switched to my small vac again for the mpcnc and other small appliances like sanders.

How small are we talking about reducing? My HF has 4" inlets. I was able to get this reduced using some PVC down to 2.5" and I still get pretty good collection out of it. I think if you go any smaller than that is where you lose the “suction.” IIRC from what I’ve read, if you have to reduce it, then keep that reduction to the very end and shortest length to help with not losing the “suction.” Example: 4in hose @ 6ft length, and a reducer to 2.5in that is only 6in in length (total hose length is 6.5ft). That is IIRC…and I mis-remember things sometimes.

1 Like

Well the LR3 has a 1.5"? port. I would have to redesign a few things to fit a 4" hose on there.

LR4"? Might as well put a full sized router on there as well!

2 Likes

Well don’t tell the little lady, but I plumbed in the central vac for a quick test. Tons of power, nearly silent, overall not all that different. The Router chewing through MDF is just loud. I am not sure a big vac is worth it in terms of sound for me. I might rout the vac exhaust outside for safety but I need to check the sound levels on that first.

1 Like

So there are 3d printed mufflers for Shop vacs, and also you could do like an air compressor box with foam in it to quiet it down. I would however worry about heat if in a box, that is why my compressor is not in a box also! But, I tend to worry about alot of things I shouldn’t.

wouldn’t you know it, now I cannot find the mufflers I saw a while ago. There was one for Air compressor and one for shop vac. If I find it I will attach it.

At one of my last jobs I did some tweaks on a compressor box. Lots of air, even had a temp switched fan just in case.

Standing right next to it the vac is loud. Standing one garage length away the end mill it the loud part. Interesting, I never really thought about this much but doing some testing is fun. I was sure the vac was the loudest part, it is pretty much a tie for my situation.

2 Likes

I agree, after testing the decibel levels with router (dw660) running idle, and then cutting. Then measured the same with shop vac on. The router while cutting and shop vac were virtually identical readings. So, i keep a decent pair of earmuffs handy for anytime it’s running.

1 Like

Hey, there has to be honor amongst thieves… :zipper_mouth_face:

:joy:

I know nothing! I wasn’t even here!..shhhhhhhh!