Low Rider 2 Historical window shutter build

Hey All,

So we were pricing up exterior shutters for our NC farm house. I did some looking around the web but the prices were crazy, and the shutters on offer were not architecturally sympathetic.

Enter the Lowrider2ā€¦

After designing in VCarve Pro, It cut like a champ with a Whiteside 1/4" bit. 1-1/2 inch slats, 1-1/2 inch spacing. Awesome.

I ran 2 programs per stile- they are 75" in length. These are douglas fir, 1/10" incremental cut depth, 1/2" for the slats, 1" for the mortices for the rails. About 40 minutes per stile. The mortices are 40 degrees from horizontal, so would let more of the winter sun in if closed.

20 Likes

Very nice work!

1 Like

Thank you. I built the Lowrider 2 as a COVID project a year ago and keep finding uses for it. This saved me a ton of $$

1 Like

Oh man, those look great. I bet you saved a ton of money on them as well.

3 Likes

Thanks Ryan- the Lowrider2 made the build easy, but the 200+ slats were insane as my round-over bit on the table top router kept chewing them up. This is definitely a money maker for someone out there. I spent $100 on wood for 2 pairs of shutters. Millworks were charging $600-1500 per pair (without the historical touches).

Here is my inspiration web site:

2 Likes

You made the slats as well!? Shoot, that is a ton of work. I guess while the CNC was working, you were able to keep yourself busy. That is awesome.

1 Like

Nice work!

Did you find it hard to center those holes on the narrow board?

1 Like

I set a channel to hold the stiles against the bit up and down the table, and then cut a test mortice at the far end to check.

2 Likes

There was a New Yankee Workshop where Norm made shutters like these (but much smaller, for a furniture project). It looked daunting. Iā€™m very impressed.

2 Likes

Wow. Impressive.

1 Like

My dad finally retired his new Yankee workshop coffee mug. He got it from Norm about 40 years ago. Norm was doing a talk to a bunch of ag teachers at Ohio state. Dad said the cup was starting to get grooves on the bottom from his spoon.

1 Like